[Frognet] Use of Cedar - Now Composting

  • Jutti Marsh
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 12, 2009
      This morning I realized that I only replied to Ron when I commented on substrates.

      Here is what I said.

      I have found the stuff made from coconut and the true cypress mulch to be okay. I also go by the rule that if you can smell it, don't use it. Pet owners have been cautioned not use bedding made from pine, cedar, etc. for small mammal pets. They used to promote cedar and pine bedding for odor control. Turns out it is harmful to the critters. They contain phenols which in small mammals can cause liver and kidney damage. Since our frogs are even more sensitive I imagine they would cause irritation would could lead to all types of problems.

      Since I started doing outreach at nature centers I have picked up a couple of California kingsnakes. I use aspen bedding only for them. One of my fellow outreach volunteers uses rabit food pellets for his snakes. He says they are easy to clean and safe for the snakes. However they wouldn't work well in a frog habit! ; o )

      Now I have a question. I am thinking of composting certain items from my garden to create substrate. I don't use any insecticides in my garden. I figure if it can't survive without bug spray then it doesn't belong in my garden. These are the things I'm thinking of putting in this special compost pile: grass clippings, sycamore leaves, leaves from an ornamental plum, and weeds. Earthworms are added to the mix to break down the compost faster.

      Most everything goes into my regular compost but I don't think I should do that for compost I want to use in a terrarium. Anyway I would appreciate input. Thanks.

      Jutti

      FAQ: http://www.tracyhicks.com/FFAQ.htm
      Gallery: http://www.frognet.org/gallery
    • Lars Österdahl
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
        Jutti,

        One thing: Why "break down the compost faster" ?
        If you are making soil for plants, yes - but in the viv???
        I prefer the breaking down being done by "useful" critters, like
        springtails, isopods ...

        /Lars

        Jutti Marsh wrote:
        > <snip>
        > Now I have a question. I am thinking of composting certain items from my garden to create substrate. I don't use any insecticides in my garden. I figure if it can't survive without bug spray then it doesn't belong in my garden. These are the things I'm thinking of putting in this special compost pile: grass clippings, sycamore leaves, leaves from an ornamental plum, and weeds. Earthworms are added to the mix to break down the compost faster.
        >
        > Most everything goes into my regular compost but I don't think I should do that for compost I want to use in a terrarium. Anyway I would appreciate input. Thanks.

        [demime found a multipart/alternative section which it tried
        to parse but could not find any section which it could render. Please send plain text.]

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
          Lar & all,

          I use earthworms only during the composting. They would be removed BEFORE placing the compost as substrate in the vivarium. I would not want earthworms in my vivariums. But that's an idea, I could innoculate the vivarium compost heap with springtails. My regular compost is used in the garden and most everything goes into it. That's why I don't think it would be wise to use it in vivariums. Thanks for the suggestion.
          >Jutti,
          >
          >One thing: Why "break down the compost faster" ?
          >If you are making soil for plants, yes - but in the viv???
          >I prefer the breaking down being done by "useful" critters, like
          >springtails, isopods ...
          >
          >/Lars
          >

          >Jutti Marsh wrote:
          >> <snip>
          >> Now I have a question. I am thinking of composting certain items from my garden to create substrate. I don't use any insecticides in my garden. I figure if it can't survive without bug spray then it doesn't belong in my garden. These are the things I'm thinking of putting in this special compost pile: grass clippings, sycamore leaves, leaves from an ornamental plum, and weeds. Earthworms are added to the mix to break down the compost faster.
          >>
          >> Most everything goes into my regular compost but I don't think I should do that for compost I want to use in a terrarium. Anyway I would appreciate input. Thanks.

          FAQ: http://www.tracyhicks.com/FFAQ.htm
          Gallery: http://www.frognet.org/gallery
        • john rillamas
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 13, 2009
            Jutti,
            I'd like to add that you would risk introduction of "non-useful" critters like
            snails and slugs and even earwigs. I'm sure you'd carefully screen anything
            put in the viv but snail eggs can be hard to see. I guess the substrate could
            be baked or sterilized by other means prior to use.�
            John