Re: Frisian ballad

  • Pyt
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 16, 2004
      Hello David,

      A study about that ballade should be my possession and it contains a
      translation in German.

      For some time I did not receive the messages from this forum, so I
      will need a few days to find out. I will be back!

      Pyt Kramer.

      --- In frikurs@yahoogroups.com, "David Barrow" <davidab@t...> wrote:
      > Hi,
      >
      > Someone in another group I'm a member of is interested in the
      Frisian
      > ballad
      >
      > _A redder träd a bai un a daans_ or _A redder träd un a daans met
      > a baai_
      >
      > does anyone here have full lyrics and a translation to English?
      >
      > David Barrow
    • Pyt Kramer
      Message 2 of 5 , Sep 17, 2004
        Hello David,

        Today I put some copies from Krogman's book in the new "file" section of the
        forum:
        krog_omx.jpg gives the title.
        The ballade is written down about 1850 on the North-Frisian island of Feer
        (Föhr). Also a melody is transmitted.
        Apparently the ballade was still sung, but the text is not well understable;
        perhaps it was then already very old and the right words were forgotten.
        krog64x-68x present the melody and prof. Bremers still imperfect
        reconstruction with a translation in German, whereas krog84x-86x present
        Krogmann's own perfect solution, of course still a hypothesis.

        The history is simple: When dancing a round dance (Rai, which was later
        understood as Bai) a girl (Fomen) falls in love with a knight (Redder). She
        has a bad sister-in-law (Snar), who says the girl is "ferspellet"
        (pregnant?) and then her three brothers draw lots for to find out which of
        them has to kill her. The killed girl is taken to heaven and the brother to
        hell.

        I hope you like it?

        Greetings, Pyt.

        >From: "Pyt" <pytkramer@...>
        >To: frikurs@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [frikurs] Re: Frisian ballad
        >Date: Thu, 16 Sep 2004 19:25:58 -0000
        >
        >Hello David,
        >
        >A study about that ballade should be my possession and it contains a
        >translation in German.
        >
        >For some time I did not receive the messages from this forum, so I
        >will need a few days to find out. I will be back!
        >
        >Pyt Kramer.
        >

        >--- In frikurs@yahoogroups.com, "David Barrow" <davidab@t...> wrote:
        > > Hi,
        > >
        > > Someone in another group I'm a member of is interested in the
        >Frisian
        > > ballad
        > >
        > > _A redder träd a bai un a daans_ or _A redder träd un a daans met
        > > a baai_
        > >
        > > does anyone here have full lyrics and a translation to English?
        > >
        > > David Barrow

        Hotmail en Messenger on the move http://mobile.msn.com/?lc=nl-nl
      • David Barrow
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 4, 2004
          Pyt,

          Thanks for the scans. My knowledge of Frisian is at the moment close
          to nil. I had made the request on behalf of someone else: Ron Hahn of
          the Lowlands Group who was the person interested in the ballad also
          sends his much appreciated thanks.

          David

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 9, 2004
            Today I included another two Krogmann-pages to the files section.

            Greetings, Pyt Kramer.