MA - John Diaz - Isolation Continues

  • Letter Campaign
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2011
      1.  To help advocate for John Diaz, please write or forward a copy of the following sample letter,  to the officials listed below:

      September 1, 2011

      Re:  John Anthony Diaz #W62523
             Massachusetts Department of Corrections
             Souza-Baranowski Correctional Center
             PO Box 8000
             Shirley, MA   01464

      Dear Sir or Madam:

      Mr. John Diaz, as referenced above,  writes that:

      • He has been diagnosed with Major Depression Disorder and Post Traumatic Stress Disorder; yet the actions of the prison staff continue to cause him mental anguish
      • He has been previously forced against his will into a double-man cell.
      • He continues to request definitive treatment for his leg that was re-injured after being assaulted while in restraints by Sgt. Keezer and responding staff.
      • He remains isolated on the L-2 unit while his personal property has been confiscated without cause.
      • He requested to be transferred to the State of Maine Department of Correction; yet remains in the custody of the Massachusetts Department of Correction that has failed to provide any beneficial psychotherapy.
      We ask that your office intervenes so that Mr. Diaz is not forced to remain in debilitating pain and psychological torment.  Mr. Diaz requires that he condition be re-evaluated and the appropriate treatment provided.

      Sincerely,

      [Your name and address]

      2.  For a quick cut and paste, the email and contact form links are grouped below. The entire section of emails can be cut and pasted into the "To" field of your email:

      constituent.services@...;James.Timilty@...;Daniel.Winslow@...;
      Cynthia.Creem@...; Gale.Candaras@...;
      Gene.OFlaherty@...;  Therese.Murray@...;
      Christopher.Speranzo@...; Robert.DeLeo@...; info@...;
      info@...; Gloria.Fox@...; Patricia.Jehlen@...; spotlight@...; Katherine.Clark@...; MHLAC@...

      http://www.mass.gov/?pageID= gov3utilities&sid=Agov3&U= Agov3_contact_us ;
      http://www.whitehouse.gov/ contact

      OR

      For step-by-step instructions, please visit 2Million Plus Citizens-in-Action aka 2mpCIA at:

      http:// peopleagainstprisonabuse.com/ STATES/massachusetts/ urgentjohndiaz.html

      Please write/fax/email to the following officials:

      U.S. President Barack Obama
      The White House
      1600 Pennsylvania Ave, NW
      Washington, DC 20500
      (Include your email address)
      Ph: 202-456-1414
      Fax: 202-456-2461
      Contact Form:  http://www.whitehouse.gov/ contact

      Deval Patrick, Governor
      Massachusetts State House
      Office of the Governor
      Room 280
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-725-4005
      Fax:  617-727-9725
      Email:  constituent.services@ state.ma.us

      Attn:  Aaron B. Zisser, Attorney
      Special Litigation Section
      U.S. Department of Justice
      Civil Rights Division
      950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW
      Washington, D.C. 20530
      Ph: (202-514-6255 or 877- 218-5228)
      Fax:  (202-514-0212 or 202-514- 6273)
      Email: Special.Litigation@...

      Prisoners' Legal Services
      10 Winthrop Square
      Boston, MA 02110
      Ph: (617) 482-2773
      Fax: (617) 451-6383
      Prisoners' Legal Services accepts telephone requests for assistance on Monday afternoons from 1 to 4 P.M. Family and friends of prisoners can call toll-free from anywhere in Massachusetts on (800) 882-1413.

      Mental Health Legal Advisors Committee
      24 School Street, 8th Floor
      Boston, MA 02108
      Ph: 617-338-2345
      Fax:  617-338-2347
      Email: MHLAC@...

      ACLU of Massachusetts
      Executive Director: Carol Rose
      211 Congress Street
      Boston, MA 02110
      Ph: (617) 482-3170
      Fax: (617) 451-0009
      Email: info@...

      Senator Cynthia Stone Creem, Senate Chair
      Joint Committee on the Judiciary
      State House
      Room 416-B
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-1639
      Email: Cynthia.Creem@...

      Senator Gale D. Candaras, Senate Vice Chair
      Joint Committee on the Judiciary
      State House
      Room 309
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-1291
      Fax: 617-722-1014
      Email: Gale.Candaras@...

      Representative Eugene L. O'Flaherty, House Chair
      Joint Committee on the Judiciary
      State House
      Room 136
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-2396
      Fax: 617-722-2819
      Email: Gene.OFlaherty@...

      Representative Christopher N. Speranzo, House Vice Chair
      Joint Committee on the Judiciary
      State House
      Room 136
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-2396
      Fax: 617-722-2819
      Email: Christopher.Speranzo@mahouse. gov

      Representative Gloria L. Fox
      167 State House
      Boston, MA  02133
      Ph: (617) 722-2810
      Fax: (617) 722-2846
      Email:  Gloria.Fox@...

      Senator Patricia D. Jehlen
      513 State House
      Boston, MA  02133
      Fax:  617-722-1117
      Email:  Patricia.Jehlen@...

      Senator Katherine Clark
      313 A State House
      Boston, MA  02133
      Fax:  617-722-2821
      Email: Katherine.Clark@...

      Therese Murray, President of the Senate
      State House
      Suite 332
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-1500
      Fax: 617-722-1076
      Email: Therese.Murray@...

      Robert A. DeLeo, Speaker of the House
      State House
      Room 356
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: 617-722-2500
      Fax: 617-722-2008
      Email: Robert.DeLeo@...

      Senator James Timilty
      507 State House
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: (617) 722-1222
      Fax: (617) 722-1056
      Email:  James.Timilty@...

      Representative Daniel Winslow
      B2 State House
      Boston, MA 02133
      Ph: (617) 722-2425
      Fax: (617) 626-0296
      Email:   Daniel.Winslow@...

      MEDIA

      The Boston Globe - Spotlight Team
      Re:  The Prison Suicide Crisis
      Ph:617-929-3208 / 617-929-7483.
      Email: spotlight@...

      Update August 14, 2011:  Mr. Diaz writes:  I'm currently in the L-2 unit.  It is still a punishment unit.  They will not allow me to have my t.v., I can' t have contact visits  with anybody including attorneys, I can't go to the yard, I can't go to the library, I can't attend religious services.  All this and I was never issued a disciplinary report or anything.  I still have not received any medical treatment for my leg.  Why isn't mental health doing anything about them taking everything from me, with no disciplinary report.  I use those things to help me cope.

      Update July 31, 2011:  Per Inmate Medical Grievance & Appeal Forms dated July 21, 20011 and July 31, 2011 Mr. Diaz writes:  On June 16, 2011, I severely injured my lower  leg.  I felt something snap.  I immediately sought out medical help.  That same day, I handed Nurse Chad a sick call slip and asked him for an ice pack.  He denied me an ice pack saying that he needed permission from a doctor in order to provide me with ice.  On June 21 2011, I showed Nurse Lynn the injured area.  She saw that my entire right calf area was swollen which she called edema.  On July 18, 2011, after submitting over a dozen sick call slips and submitting three medical grievances, I was finally seen by Nurse Practitioner Abraham.  He visually inspected the area and said that because there was no swelling the he could see, there was nothing he could do.  Nurse Practitiioner Abraham refused to treat my injury.  But did acknowledge that something is wrong, by saying to me, "When you are released, you can seek treatment for it."  I told him that I am serving a life sentencee, and therefore must completely rely on the medical staff of this institution for medical care.  Nobody has made a diagnosis as if this is a muscle injury or a tendon injury.  My leg is still injured and not functioning properly.

      Update as of May 22, 2011:  The family of John Diaz writes:  (John) is no longer in punitive.  (John) saw the psychiatrist last month for the first time.He received a letter from Kristie LaDouceur the Director of Administrative Resolutions,she stated in her letter that they were going to investigate. As a result of the two bogus disciplinarys written by Sgt. Keezer, (John) received the dates for the hearings today from one of the guards. The two dates set are scheduled for May 31, 2011 and June 2, 2011.

      Update as of April 6, 2011:  The family of Mr. John Diaz writes:  I couldn't wait to see if tomorrow might bring me mail from my son. So, I went to the prison today to see him. I called first and they said he can have visits. But when I got there, I had to visit with him through glass.  (John) has been missing lunch and library whenever he saw Keezer or any of the other guards he was having problems with, just so he wouldn't be harassed and they do this to him.  He went to the library, not knowing Keezer was there this time and Keezer claimed (John) threatened him. So, they put him in solitary confinement  indefinitely. Now (John) doesn't know what's going to happen. I also called the Mental Health Worker, Anna who called me a week or so ago to tell me she would be seeing (John) again and she said she hadn't seen him. So, they never did begin his treatment again. (John) said they haven't even written him up or had any hearing on it. He said Keezer has been hanging around the lunch room and the library. I think Keezer was waiting for (John) so that he could pull something like this. But, (John) never said anything to Keezer. He's been trying to avoid all of those guards because he was worried they may try to assault him again.  (John) has lost too much weight.   I had not heard from my son because those people have been holding back on his incoming and outgoing mail. I sent him a couple of Watchtower flyers someone had given me and he got those. But the mail he should have been getting, they have been withholding. (John) said he's been writing to me once every week. I haven't received any correspondence from my son for over ten days. He said I should have received two letters from him. They have also held up two more grievances he sent. Massachusetts' Department of Corrections, Sgt. Keezer who reportedly took part in physically assaulting Mr. Diaz (January 2011) has now claimed that Mr. Diaz threatened him.  Mr. Diaz has been separated from his property and placed indefinitely in solitary confinement.

      Update as of April 5, 2011:   The family of Mr. Diaz writes:  I have not heard from my son in 8 days.  I know that something is wrong!

      Update as of March 30, 2011:  The family of Mr. John Diaz writes:  I just received a call from the Mental Health Worker at the facility where (John) is. She called to tell me she will be seeing (John) again for his mental health issues and that they are going to be working on a diagnosis. She said he is doing okay now, clean shaven and looking well and that he asked her to call me and tell me he couldn't call because his phone privileges are down.

      Update as of March 2011:  Your letters prevented Mr. Diaz from being sent to Walpole Unit's punitive solitary confinement on bogus disciplinary charges.  He currently remains at the Souza-Baranowski Unit in General Population, in part, under the supervision of Sgt Keezer who reportedly assaulted Mr. Diazand boasted about it.

      THANK YOU!

      "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." Hebrews: 13:3

      Inmate Letter Campaign

      Saving lives one letter at a time