AR - John Caldwell - Update

  • Letter
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2011
      February 28, 2011

      Representative Butch Wilkins, Chair
      Charitable, Penal and Correctional Institutions
      2639 County Road 33
      Bono, AR  72416
      Fax:  501-682-3479

      Re: John M. Caldwell 090188
             Varner Max Unit

      Dear Chairperson Wilkins:

      Mr. Caldwell, as referenced above, suffered a bilateral hernia in March 2007.  He would not receive corrective surgery for this painful condition until February 2010 and August 2010, when right inguinal hernia repair and left inguinal hernia repair surgeries were respectively approved by Correctional Medical Services(CMS).  Within days of Mr. Caldwell's major abdominal wall/ hernia repair, the Arkansas Department of Correction's Varner Unit Warden Meinzer methodically forced Mr. Caldwell to physically pack up and move from cell to cell and eventually into general population which placed a tremendous amount of strain and injury to his surgical site and internal organs.   As a result of this physical harassment, Mr. Caldwell suffered from a large hernia-like protrusion from his rectum and continues to experience ripping, tearing and stinging which has been indicative of a new hernia.  Yet, the prison and it's contracted medical staff have not ordered a new CT scan of the abdomen to assess the cause of Mr. Caldwell's ongoing abdominal pain and numbness.  He continues to suffer from an extremely painful umbilical hernia which CMS has not provided it's repair.

      "Experts say more inmate deaths are a certainty because the DOC's medical vendor Correctional Medical Services (CMS) has a reputation for providing shoddy care, which frequently results in inmate deaths and litigation."

      We ask for your immediate intervention to insure that Mr. Caldwell does not die from complications of his worsening abdominal conditions which are being ignored by CMS and the State of Arkansas.

      Respectfully submitted,

      Please write to the following officials to insure that Mr. Caldwell receives adequate care for his numerous and debilitating ailments. A sample letter is above that can be cut and pasted into a separate email.  Please also visit PAPA for a sample letter at:

      http://peopleagainstprisonabuse.com/STATES/arkansas/jcaldwelltakeaction/jcrepwilkins.html

      Mark A. Darr, Lt. Governor
      Office of the Lt. Governor
      State Capitol, Suite 270
      Little Rock, AR 72201-1061
      Phone: 501-682-2144
      Fax: 501-682-2894
      Email: amber.rollins@... (Amber Rollins Executive Assistant to the Lt. Governor)

      Representative Butch Wilkins, Chair
      Charitable, Penal and Correctional Institutions Subcommittee of the Arkansas Legislative Council
      2639 County Road 333
      Bono, Arkansas 72416
      Phone     870-972-5503
      Phone: (501) 682-7771
      Fax: (501) 682-3479
      Email:    butch.wilkins@...

      Senator Jim Luker, Chair
      Senate Judiciary Committee
      P. O. Box 216
      Wynne, AR  72396
      Phone    870-238-8588
      Fax: 870-238-7680
      Email    Jim.Luker@...

      Senator Steve Harrelson, Member
      Senate Judiciary Committee
      3911 Jack Cullen Drive
      Texarkana, AR   71854
      Phone: (870) 898-8800
      Fax: (870) 898-8124
      Email    steve@...

      Representative Darrin Williams, Chair
      House Committee on Judiciary
      11311 Arcade Drive, Suite 200
      Little Rock, AR 72212
      Phone     501-312-8500
      Fax     501-312-8505
      Email     dwilliams@...

      Senator Sue Madison, Chair
      State Agencies & Gov't Affairs Senate Committee
      573 Rock Cliff Road
      Fayetteville, AR 72701
      Phone: 479-442-2997
      Fax: None
      Email:  Sue.Madison@...

      Senator David Johnson, Chair
      Judiciary - Senate Correction, Criminal Law
      Room 320, State Capitol,
      Little Rock, AR  72201
      Phone    501-682-6107
      Fax:  None
      Email    David.Johnson@...

      National Commission on Correctional Health Care
      1145 W. Diversey Pkwy
      Chicago, IL 60614
      Phone 773-880-1460
      Fax 773-880-2424
      E-mail:   info@...

      Jonathan M. Smith, Chief
      Special Litigation Section
      U.S. Department of Justice
      Civil Rights Division
      950 Pennsylvania Avenue, NW, Washington DC 20530-0001
      Ph:  (202) 514-6255 or toll-free at (877) 218-5228
      Fax: (202) 514-0212
      Alt. Fax: (202) 514-6273
      Email:  Special.Litigation@...

      Ray Hobbs, Director
      Arkansas Department of Correction
      PO Box 8707
      Pine Bluff, AR 71611-8707
      Ph:  870-267-6200
      Fax: 870-267-6244
      Email:  ray.hobbs@...

      Update:  As of February 15, 2011, Mr. Caldwell has not received an updated abdominal CT - Scan to assess the current stinging, tearing, and ripping within his abdomen.   This condition will not cure itself and can only worsen.  Mr. Caldwell continues to lose his vision, the prison and its contracted medical staff has neither confirmed nor denied the existence of an orbital tumor, as suspected by Dr. Jonathan Simmons, of the Simmons Eye Center, Marianna Arkansas,  in the year 2003. Mr. Caldwell continues to suffer a painful right breast mass that has never been biopsied. Pain travels from the right breast mass, down his right arm, with interrupted blood flow to the arm.  Mr. Caldwell must continue to raise his arm over his head in order for the blood to flow properly.

      Update:  As of January 27, 2011, Mr. Caldwell writes:  I've been having a problem (1-1 1/2 months) with a tooth on the upper left side.  It's been abscessed/infected for three weeks.  They put me on Clindamycin 500mg and discontinued them too soon.  The infection returned with a savage vengeance.  I swelled up until my left eye literally shut, my jaw hugely disfigured and I could not eat.   Last night they re-started the Clindamycin 500mg and added Amoxicillin 500mg.to this stubborn infection.  Today, I went to see the dentist and he decided to pull it now because the guard wouldn't let me in the last time.  He started giving me shots, they passed through the gums and into the pocket of infection.  I told him that I can still feel the pain.  The back was numb 50 percent and the front was numb zero percent.  I was in so much pain, I had to white knuckle it.My lip, jaw and gums never went numb.  He was twisting & pulling the tooth and I could feel every bit of pain.  At about 1/3 of the way out, the tooth broke off inside my gums.   The dentist spent the next hour plus surgically removing the bottom part of the tooth.  He put three stitches in. It hurt so bad I'm still (6hrs later) having involuntary convulsions from the pain.  I'm 4 hours away from pill call when I will get Ibuprofen for pain that I know will not help.  I cannot pinpoint the hernia problems because my abdomen is numb - I have zero feeling except on the edges.

      Update:  As of October 31, 2010:  Mr. Caldwell writes in part:  "They magically/conveniently gave me a (1) year medical script for (0) hours of lifting 10 lbs.  Ms. Gordon, Infirmary Manager did that and said it would become permanent in my file very soon.  Then recently (2) days ago, (Warden) Banks reversed that fake disciplinary for me refusing to move my property stating "Due to MSF-207" - the very form that they ignored to lock me up - take away my commissary use etc.  Now that I see that Senator Bobby Glover was obviously asking lots of questions, they got nervous about their orchestrated harassment . . . Then lately on 10/25/10 they came in & piss tested the entire Bks.  Well (8-9) people came back dirty - I tested positive for barbiturates specifically Butalbital - the headache medicine that I take every day. My med files will cover me should they give me yet another fake/harassment disciplinary.   Anyway, the rest of them all tested positive for weed/T.H.C.  I found it very odd how they singled me out to test mine - point being, they never test all the samples they collect - cost too much, so they use a list of people they want to bust - obviously I'm on that list.

      Mr. Caldwell can only recognize light and dark from his left eye and continues to loss vision from his right eye.   The prison and contracted medical staff continue to delay the requested Orbital CT-Scan claiming that the machine is broken, which will confirm or deny the existence of a suspected orbital tumor(See 2004 Eye Consultation by Dr. Simmons) - that may be the cause of Mr. Caldwell's eye pain, pressure, drainage, severe headaches and loss of vision.

      Update:  As of October 24, 2010:  The attached letter was received from Senator Bobby Glover's office.    In this letter, Warden James Banks attempts to minimize to severity of John Caldwell's abdominal injury and pain.   Warden Banks appears to justify the treatment of Mr. Caldwell based on Mr. Caldwell's 1993 fraudulent criminal conviction.  Mr. Caldwell continues to experience severe abdominal pain due to being repeatedly moved by prison officials from cell to cell and into general population, directly after receiving major surgery to repair a left inguinal hernia, where he has now been given a bunk with a broken lock unable to protect his personal items.  His newest symptoms includes pain which radiates from his left rib cage up into his mid to upper back.  Page Two of the attached letter refers to the name "Campbell"  who is an enemy of Mr. Caldwell's.

      Update:  As of September 28, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes:  "Last night I had weird intense burning - internally burning as if I had food poisoning or something - sat on the toilet & tried to use it, the bleeding was so intense & it bled for 6-7 minutes.  After all that blood run out, it changed as if pressure on something was released.  Something ripped loose internally? I had already put in a sick call about the request for a new Ct-Scan & pain under left ribs & mid back.  This was unusually painful to the point people were coming by checking on me, they could see without me saying a word that I am in pain."

      Update:  As of September 26, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes:  "On Friday they took me before Warden Meinzer for a "Probable Cause Hearing", in other words to decide if I should be re-assigned to AdSeg/the Max.  They rapidly came to the conclusion that somebody got carried away moving people and that I wasn't supposed to be moved - because where somebody was trying to put me was completely at the farthest end of the unit - thus the farthest to walk to eat, pill window, everything basically.  So he put me back in 3Bks Friday afternoon, got my property back an hour later & I'm not sure if I've got any fake disciplinary coming or not.  Someone is trying really hard to harm me.  It (hernia) has started ripping again from just above pant line at left hip bone down diagonally toward top leading edge of new surgery, bruising that I can see is now 2 1/2" x 1 1/2", swelling moderate, pain beyond words."

      Update:  As of September 23, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes:  "They tried to move me again.  The left side is ripping out again from belt line at hip down toward top of new surgery.  They locked me up in Isolation.  They separated (me) from all of my property(legal, medicines, commissary) except some envelopes, legal pads, ink pens, calendar, a cup & a bowl.  Fact per policy I'm supposed to have all of my property except the two piece clothing for population.  Sgt Crompton wrote the last fake disciplinary - he took all my property and laughed when he told me"she" said take it all.  When I asked who she is, he refused to give me a name.  I'm bruised from the ripping internally I'm on fire from it all.  I have a cellmate in Isolation, AdSeg cellmate that by law is on single man status, they forced us in here together.  I'm on the top bunk - I have to climb to get into bed.  They're doing all they can to cause me harm. My side is on fire again just like it's ripping a brand new left and possibly right hernia.

      Update:  As of September 14, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes:  "  All that moving they had me doing guaranteed messed something up internally.  The right (hernia) side, (post surgical), hasn't stopped stinging since (being forced from cell to cell and carry weighted property), and the left (hernia) side (post surgical) remains maxed out (swollen as far as the skin will stretch).  The damage is done, they know this - they accomplished their goal.  They threatened a disciplinary if I refused to change my cell.  My rectum has not bulged out since that time.  To me, it was another hernia only in a very odd place.  Everything it did was identical to all the hernias I've ever had.  In General Population everything you do is standing in line.  Herded like cattle, hurry up and wait, and stand around some more.  I walk more to go eat one meal her than I would walk an entire week in the max cell.  I have to walk a pretty good distance to get meds.  I'm 80 to 100 feet from a sink and toilet.  It's like warehoused humans.  Where they did me really bad was forcing me to move four times in twelve days.  That was malicious torture.  I should've been in bed healing up and instead they had me doing everything except that - it was orchestrated.  The Diagnostic Unit is the only true medical unit."

      Update:  As of August 27, 2010, Mr. Caldwell informs us that his intestines are now protruding from his anus.  He did not get the bed rest that he requires due to the warden forcing him to move from cell to cell and finally ordered , against Arkansas Department of Correction policy, into general population against his will.   He stated that he does not have a hemorrhoid.  This hernia like protrusion pushed outside of his anus and the blood soaked his clothing.  He states that he is messed up inside now.  He states that he requires his medical classification upgraded from M-3 to M-4 and immediately transferred to a Medical/Diagnostic Unit to have this serious and potentially life-threatening condition monitored.  He went on to state that a  nurse employed by Correctional Medical Services  would not upgrade his medical class to M-4 stating that it's the fault of the ADC and not CMS that Mr. Caldwell's condition has worsened.

      Update:  As of August 25, 2010, Mr. Caldwell informs us that his cell was ransacked by guards. He was moved to a new location twice.  He states that he was ordered from the safety of Administrative Segregation where he had remained for over a decade and into General Population by Warden Meinzer.  Mr. Caldwell's affidavit is attached.

      Mr. Caldwell believes that he is being retaliated against due to his ongoing lawsuit against the Arkansas Department of Correction and Correctional Medical Services which he was forced to file after painfully waiting years for inguinal hernia repair surgery. He does not expect to last long in General Population and feels that his physical safety and life is in jeopardy.     He has expressed that his abdomen is in terrible pain and that it's only a matter of time before the bleeding re-starts due to the rigors that the prison is deliberately placing on him.

      Mr. Caldwell is requesting that his Medical Classification be upgraded from M-3 to M-4 so that he may qualify and be immediately transferred to a Medical Unit that is equipped to monitor his multiple medical conditions.  Transfer to a Medical Unit will remove him from any impending harm that is being orchestrated out of retaliation.  Please send letters to the below officials requesting Medical re-classification to a M-4 and immediate transfer to a Medical Unit for Mr. Caldwell.

      Update:  As of August 23, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes: "On Friday (8/20/10) at 5:15am (before daylight), they took me to sallyport for gatepass/medical.  Left me out there in limbo (for three hours) until 8:30am.  Finally decided nobody is going to show up to pick me up & called the Max to send an escort to take me back inside the building.  No idea where or what it was for due to security, I'm not allowed to know.  Dr. Anderson (Medical Director) put the orbital MRI(which would confirm or deny the existence of an orbital tumor as suspected by Dr. Simmons in 2003 on hold).     They have now sent me to the Jones clinic (for a different opinion).   They have moved me up on the Classification( to try and force me into General Population) list to August 25th.  I expect them to write another  disciplinary to be falsified.  I am now housed in a "program" cell.   I've had four guards tell me that I don't belong in this barracks behind the box.  The box is a contraption used to cover the beanhole to  prevent spit or other from  being thrown at the guards.  Eighty percent of my left hernia surgery swelling is gone but 100 percent of the pain remains.

      Update:   As of August 15, 2010, Mr. Caldwell writes:  "Had left inguinal hernia surgery on 8/12/10.  They did not fix the umbilical hernia. Everything handled vastly from a different perspective this time.  They had a wheelchair waiting on me at the gate."  Mr. Caldwell was given Darvon for his abdominal pain and Butabital for his massive headaches due to what may possibly be an orbital tumor as suspected by Dr. Jonathan Simmons in October 2003. Mr. Caldwell's medical conditions are complex, as he still requires diagnosis and treatment for his impaired vision/left eye vision loss; right breast mass(diagnosed by Dr. Gabriel Peal in 2003); right arm circulatory impairment and umbilical hernia which may be a complication from his long suffered and equally painful inguinal hernias..  Mr. Caldwell has now been informed that he will receive "specialized testing" on his retinas and that his left retina is in bad shape.

      Update:  On March 29, 2010, Mr. Caldwell wrote:  I pushed the last chunk of white infection out (from the surgical area where the right inguinal hernia was repaired) and I'm ready for the surgery on the left side.   I will be glad to be able to be free of this (hernia) pain and be able to eat again.
                    Despite the attached Director's Decision for Grievance VSM10-00248, informing Mr. Caldwell that his hernia issues have been resolved.  Mr. Caldwell is now awaiting surgical repair of his left inguinal hernia as he suffered a bilateral inguinal hernia and remains in pain.

      Update:  On February 25, 2010, Mr. Caldwell wrote:
      2/24/10, went to St. Vincent's Hospital "had surgery" on right hernia.  Dr. Mumtaz said he would be putting in mesh - went into surgery at precisely 12:51 pm.  Rolled out of the parking lot "gone" at 4:15pm,  Got back here, had to go for a cross country "walk" wearing leg shackles, "full array of chains".  It's about 1/4 mile from Sally port got to Building, down Hallways and then up two flights of stairs.  By the time I got to my cell, my stitches were bleeding, underwear/boxers soaking through.  This continued throughout the night as I made my own bandages out of toilet paper.  Finally got a nurse to my cell who went & got some real gauze bandages & tape (I was using brown paper tape & toilet paper, it;s all I had to work with) - that cross country walk & flights of stairs was not good on my stitches.  I ask the nurse for the Percocet that Dr. Mumtaz told me I would have waiting on me here - no pain medicine was here and it looks like none will be here today either.   This hurts!  I finally got the bleeding to stop at 5am after soaking through 2 pairs of boxer and a pile of toilet paper and bandages right now it's extremely swollen up.   I have not eaten a bite in 3 days now, it minimizes internal outward pushing pressure - hunger pain is easier to tolerate than physical pain. and with no painkillers its the only option available to me.  Yes, merely (warden) retaliation.

      Mr. Caldwell still requires evaluation and treatment for his left side inguinal hernia.  He continues to await a final response on his Inmate Grievance for an Orbital CT-Scan to deny or confirm the existence of a suspected orbital tumor which may be the cause of his eye pressure, eye drainage and vision loss.   He has been verbally diagnosed by Correctional Medical Services medical personnel as legally blind. Everyones continued assistance is greatly appreciated.

      ***Referrals to Arkansas Civil Attorney would be appreciated***
      Update:  January 2010 - Mr. Caldwell remains in excruciating pain and his inguinal hernias and abdominal bleeding have not received surgical repair. The small intestine now occupies 2/3 of the scrotal sac. It is painful for him to ingest food.  Any substantial food intake further stimulates the abdominal bleeding which has remained undiagnosed since June 2000.  His painful left eye vision has impaired his right eye vision.

      History:
      John Caldwell has a long history of inguinal hernias that received immediate surgery in the free world.   Early 2007, he  experienced ripping, tearing, burning, and stinging beneath his old left and right side hernia scars .This condition is compounded by abdominal bleeding which could be due to the buildup of old scar tissue.  In May 2007, Mr. Caldwell requested to be seen by a hernia specialist.  The DOC denied this grievance in August 2007.  Mr. Caldwell's remained in constant and unbearable pain with his hernia attempting to strangulate and his blood pressure now elevated.

      In May 2008, he submitted another request to see a hernia specialist.  At this point, his symptoms include swelling of the abdomen up to the base of his rib cage and he must pull his intestines back through the abdominal tear to prevent it's entrapment.   The DOC denied this grievance in August 2008. By late November, his hernias have ripped a new tear on his right side.

      As of September 2009, Mr. Caldwell has not been seen by a hernia specialist for exam and treatment.   He experiences heart fluctuations and continued extreme pain as he continues to wait to be seen by a hernia specialist.  The only other treatment received to date, is a high blood pressure medication, aspirin, ibuprofen, metafiber and an ill-fitting hernia belt.

      THANK YOU!
    • Letter Campaign
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 27, 2011
        For easier emailing the below sample letter, please cut and paste or click on the following email links:
        butch.wilkins@...; Jim.Luker@...; steve@...; dwilliams@...; Sue.Madison@...; David.Johnson@...; info@...; Special.Litigation@...; ray.hobbs@...

        http://governor.arkansas.gov/contact/index.php

        Please also find a sample letter on PAPA at:  www.peopleagainstprisonabuse.com/STATES/arkansas/arkansas.html

        March 28, 2011

        Governor Mike Beebe
        Office of the Governor
        250 State Capitol
        Little Rock, AR  72201
        Fax:  501-682-1382

        Representative Butch Wilkins, Chair
        Charitable, Penal and Correctional Institutions
        2639 County Road 33
        Bono, AR  72416
        Fax:  501-682-3479

        Re: John M. Caldwell 090188
               Varner Max Unit - Medical Unit Transfer Requested
               Life in Danger
        Dear Governor Beebe and Chairperson Wilkins:

        shoddy care, which frequently results in inmate deaths and litigation.” (See Green Delaware at www.greendel.org)

        We ask for your immediate intervention to insure that Mr. Caldwell does not die from complications of his worsening abdominal conditions which are being ignored by CMS and the State of Arkansas.

        Sincerely,

        Pleasewrite to the following officials to insure that Mr. Caldwell receives adequate care for his numerous and debilitating ailments. A sample letter is above that can be cut and pasted into a separate email:

        Mike Beebe, Governor
        Office of the Governor
        State Capitol, Suite 250
        Little Rock, AR 72201
        Phone:
        501-682-2345
        Fax:
        501-682-1382
        Email: http://governor.arkansas.gov/contact/index.php

[...]

        Update:  As of March 16, 2011,
[...]

        "Remember those in prison as if you were their fellow prisoners, and those who are mistreated as if you yourselves were suffering." Hebrews: 13:3

        Inmate Letter Campaign

        Saving lives one letter at a time