New club!

  • MoonPrincessssss
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 15, 2002
      Thank you for joining my new club. I'm asking that all new members
      consider writing my friend Mic. He's 22, dark brown eyes and hair,
      caucasian. He's from Lansing, Mi, but he's traveled across the U.S.
      He's been in prison for about two years now, and will probably be
      there for at least another two. He's interested in music, raves,
      parties, and he knows a lot about drugs. He's also completed AA, and
      NA-alcohol and narcotics anonymous. He also has been incredibly
      interested in learning about mythology, folk lore, paganism,
      witchcraft, moon phases, astrology, chakra cleansing and meditation.
      He's incredibly sweet and will write back anyone who writes. He does
      not ask for, or need money. However, he always appreciates letters,
      and can receive stuff off the internet, like pictures, or articles.

      Here is his address:

      Mic Rhines 314933
      Carson City Correctional Facility
      PO BOX 5000
      Carson City, MI 48811-5000

      Thank you to anyone who takes some time out to write him. Also,
      please feel free to post other friends you have who need some support.

      Peace,

      ~*~Moon~*~
    • hollisterok
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 16, 2002
        I am wondering how does one find information on inmates?

        What was Mic in for any ways?
      • MoonPrincessssss
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 16, 2002
          Hi,

          > I am wondering how does one find information on
          > inmates?

          First, it depends on what kind of information you were looking for.
          There are internet databases to find factual info. on a convict.
          There are also many internet yahoo clubs that allow the imprisoned to
          find pen pals. There are about 50 of those right now, mine is just
          one small one. There are also a ton of web sites on the internet that
          provide pen paling, and other services for inmates. Any other
          information, I suppose, wouldave to come from the inmate himself, or
          herself. I am currently looking for people to take some weight off of
          me, and give my friend Mic a few new things to do. If you enjoy
          writing Mic, there are always millions of people in prison who need
          someone to show they care, even if it's just through a few letters!

          > What was Mic in for any ways?

          My friend, Mic, is in for a few different reasons. I don't know the
          details of the charges. Basically, he robbed a house when he was
          young, nobody got hurt, and he got caught. Then he didn't follow
          through on probation. Then, he got caught, and didn't follow through
          on rehab, and probation. That has pretty much been his patter, until
          they caught him when he was of age to go to prison for not fulfilling
          his part. He has a few other charges in New York, but he won't be
          brought up on those.

          I think it might be best if you wrote him and asked for his case. I
          don't remember the details, it didn't matter to me. He's my best
          friend, I don't judge him.

          So, please feel free to write him, even if just to see what he's
          about, if you decide to not write agian, he'll understand.

          Thanks,
          Peace,
          ~*~Moon~*~
        • Isabella Malkum
          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 16, 2002
            Hi,

            Unfortunately, most prisoners are not allowed internet
            access. Therefore, snail mail is necessary. I
            understand that some people do not like giving their
            addresses to inmates, however, that's your personal
            choice. Let me know if this helps!
            Peace,
            ~*~Moon~*~

            --- ok ok ok Ko <hollisterok@...> wrote:

> [...]
            > He's my best
            > friend, I don't judge him.
            >
            > So, please feel free to write him, even if just to
            > see what he's
            > about, if you decide to not write agian, he'll
            > understand.
            >
            > Thanks,
            > Peace,
            > ~*~Moon~*~
            >

            > i build robots with names like Lothar who do cool
            > things for 30 seconds, maybe twitch, malfunction,
            > then die. I call them tragibots.
            >
            > this is my plan for world domination: i am
            > unscrewing the world. everywhere i go, i carry a
            > screwdriver around with me. then I unscrew anything
            > I can - bathrooms, tables at restaurants, people's
            > bookshelves, trains. once i unscrewed an entire
            > mcDonalds table in tokyo. one day, the world will go
            > CRAASHH! from all the lack of screws and then i'll

            http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
          • shadow13_6
            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 17, 2002
              hi. two quick questions. 1)is there any difference between a prison
              and a correctional facility, and 2)when an inmate writes back, does it
              say on the envelope anything about where the mail came from, like a
              return address or anything like that?
              thanks

              love, peace, and geese,
              rain

              --- In friendsofinmates@y..., Isabella Malkum <isabella_malkum@y...>
              wrote:

> [...]
              > > He's my best
              > > friend, I don't judge him.
              > >
              > > So, please feel free to write him, even if just to
              > > see what he's
              > > about, if you decide to not write agian, he'll
              > > understand.
              > >
              > > Thanks,
              > > Peace,
              > > ~*~Moon~*~
              > >

              > > i build robots with names like Lothar who do cool
              > > things for 30 seconds, maybe twitch, malfunction,
              > > then die. I call them tragibots.
              > >
              > > this is my plan for world domination: i am
              > > unscrewing the world. everywhere i go, i carry a
              > > screwdriver around with me. then I unscrew anything
              > > I can - bathrooms, tables at restaurants, people's
              > > bookshelves, trains. once i unscrewed an entire
              > > mcDonalds table in tokyo. one day, the world will go
              > > CRAASHH! from all the lack of screws and then i'll

            • lalosmom2001
              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 17, 2002
                Hi!

                Anytime an inmate writes to someone the envelope will be
                stamped "State Prison", "Correctional Facility" or wherever the
                inmate happens to be.

                I have a son who is in prison so I know how desperately inmates look
                forward to getting mail. So many times an inmate loses touch with
                the "real world" because friends and relatives forget about them.
                It's usually ok for about the first year but after that inmates get
                forgotten. Sad, but true, unfortunately.

                If you plan on writing to an inmate it is usually best to get a post
                office address until you get to know the inmate. You can usually get
                one for about 6 or 7 dollars a month but the peace of mind you'll
                have is immeasurable.

                Hope I've helped you a bit.
              • MoonPrincessssss
                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 17, 2002
                  Hey,
                  Thanks for joining! To answer your questions:

                  1. A prison is an sort of place of incarceration for inamtes
                  sentenced to over a year of imprisonment. A Penitentiary is a maximum
                  security prison. A correctional facility is a medium security prison.

                  2. As far as I know, when an inmate writes back, he is supposed to
                  put his return address on it, including the prison name. I don't think
                  the mail room let's things go out with out the address. Also, most
                  envelopes now are pre-printed with prison address on it, and they just
                  fill in their name and number.

                  Please, let me know if you have any other questions!
                  Peace,
                  ~*~Moon~*~

                • Lauren Lowe
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jun 20, 2002
                    thanks for the info. *puzzles over how she's going to
                    explain the addresses to her mother* hmmmm....i think
                    this might be a problem. does anyone have any
                    suggestions on how i might be able to deal with her?
                    i've never written to an inmate before, although i've
                    considered it, and i doubt she'll look favorably on
                    me writing, even though i'm almost 18. so any
                    suggestions or ideas would be much appreciated.
                    thanks.

                    love, peace, and geese,
                    rain

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jun 20, 2002
                      The best thing to do would be to get a PO Box, I know they don't cost
                      much. This way, inmates won't know where you live!

                      Peace

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jun 27, 2002
                        we've got a po box. the problem is i know she's gonna
                        freak out about this, so i was wondering if anyine had
                        any idea with how i could try to reason with her.
                        especially anyone who's had to deal with that kinda
                        situation before.

                        love, peace, and geese,
                        rain

                        wrote:
> [...]
                        > > > Hey,
                        > > > Thanks for joining! To answer your questions:
                        > > >
                        > > > 1. A prison is an sort of place of
                        > incarceration
                        > > > for inamtes
                        > > > sentenced to over a year of imprisonment. A
                        > > > Penitentiary is a maximum
                        > > > security prison. A correctional facility is a
                        > > > medium security prison.
                        > > >
                        > > > 2. As far as I know, when an inmate writes
                        > back, he
                        > > > is supposed to
                        > > > put his return address on it, including the
                        > prison
                        > > > name. I don't think
                        > > > the mail room let's things go out with out the
                        > > > address. Also, most
                        > > > envelopes now are pre-printed with prison
                        > address on
                        > > > it, and they just
                        > > > fill in their name and number.
                        > > >
                        > > > Please, let me know if you have any other

                        === message truncated ===

                        http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com
                      • sari_sunya
                        Message 11 of 16 , Jun 27, 2002
                          I've had to deal with this exact problem. Two of my closest friends
                          are in prison. One I knew out here on the streets, so my mom
                          accepted me writing him. The other found my address through my first
                          friend. My mom was not pleased with random guys from prisons writing
                          me. In fact, my address ended up floating all over the prison.
                          Someone memorized it and sold it with a message that I'd send naked
                          pictures of myself, VERY NOT TRUE! So, I found out who it was and
                          had him put in the hole. The warden was very cooperative in
                          searching out people who had my address and making sure they never
                          used it again. If anything happens to you, you can always protect
                          yourself through the police. If anyone stalks, harrasses, or just
                          seems downright creepy, tell them to stop writing you. If they
                          don't, send copies of their letters to the warden and he can take
                          care of it. Don't ever give out your phone number!

                          To help your mother see it's harmless, tell her you just want all
                          sorts of pen pals, and people in prison are still people, if anything
                          they are the lonliest bunch, who always write back, you'd be doing so
                          much good by taking on an inmate for a pen pal.

                          You can always give her my email address, I started this club for a
                          reason, I know there are many more harmless people in prison, then
                          there are dangerous. Most are there for small reasons... and any
                          who are there for huge horrible reasons, well, they don't ahve to
                          have your address do they? no, and they probably wouldn't have
                          access to it. The people here have loving family who support them
                          and are just looking for something to pass the time. The inmates on
                          my databases are either personal friends of mine, who I know for a
                          fact aren't gonna go running around with your addy, or they are sons
                          of mother's who have posted, or friends of busy people who can't
                          spend a lot of time with inmates who really need a friend.

                          Most people in the database are Level 3 or below. That means, it's
                          medium security, which means they have some freedom, and probably
                          have a little whlie left inside, and really need the support to
                          actually change, and not fall back into the same pattern.

                          If you need any more good points, let me know :)
                          Peace,
                          Moon

                        • DEWEY -- KC*5*UCI
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jun 27, 2002

                            If it your mother's PO Box, discuss the situation with her first. Who knows, she just might understand. Offer to allow her to read the letters ( I know, it's an invasion of privacy), but it may help to alleviate her fears about you writing to inmates. Above all, BE CAREFUL !!!!  Most inmates are up front about things, but there are some who might try to take advantage of you. If you have any problems, report them to the unit warden in writing, and have him / her instruct the inmate not to write you again. Good luck. If you have any other questions, let me know.     DEWEY   kc5uci@...  P.S. I've been out thirteen years now, so I know most of the games.

                            wrote:
> [...]
                            > > > Hey,
                            > > > Thanks for joining!  To answer your questions:
                            > > >
                            > > > 1.  A prison is an sort of place of
                            > incarceration
                            > > > for inamtes
                            > > > sentenced to over a year of imprisonment.  A
                            > > > Penitentiary is a maximum
                            > > > security prison.  A correctional facility is a
                            > > > medium security prison.
                            > > >
                            > > > 2.  As far as I know, when an inmate writes
                            > back, he
                            > > > is supposed to
                            > > > put his return address on it, including the
                            > prison
                            > > > name. I don't think
                            > > > the mail room let's things go out with out the
                            > > > address.  Also, most
                            > > > envelopes now are pre-printed with prison
                            > address on
                            > > > it, and they just
                            > > > fill in their name and number.
                            > > >
                            > > > Please, let me know if you have any other

                            === message truncated ===

                            "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experence."

                            Do You Yahoo!?

                          • Don Christopherson
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jun 28, 2002

                               Hi Lauren,

                              I have several inmate penpal friends that I've developed over the past 9 years, so I can offer some advice that you may not like to hear.  But I'm being very sincere in my free advice to you.

                              If you write to an inmate and disclose that you are under 18 years of age (which you should do), the inmate will likely either write a short note back to you that he is not interested in corresponding to an underage person or simply not reply at all.   Most inmates don't want to write to underage because it may be a setup by law enforcement or the inmate is only wanting to develop a relationship (friend, serious, etc) with an adult (over 18 years old).   Some inmates who post ads will include the the sentence any age over the age of 18.

                              As for your mom and you, if you are living at home, your mother does have a right to object if she doesn't approve you writing to an inmate.  If you are close to the age of the majority, why not wait then.  If after you turn 18, you still want to correspond with an inmate.  Great.  Follow the suggested advice like having PO Boxes, rule about you can send along with the letter, etc....you should be good to go.   Trust your instincts and you may not find the inmate you want to correspond on the very first time.  But when you do, it can be very enjoyable.

                              As for the other questions you asked earlier, many states will have inmates mail stamped identifying that the envelope is coming from a state prison.  Return address on each of the inmates envelope is required otherwise the letter won't be sent out of prison....

                              I hope I've been helpful....  You have a great weekend.

                              Don C

                              wrote:
> [...]
                              > > > Hey,
                              > > > Thanks for joining!  To answer your questions:
                              > > >
                              > > > 1.  A prison is an sort of place of
                              > incarceration
                              > > > for inamtes
                              > > > sentenced to over a year of imprisonment.  A
                              > > > Penitentiary is a maximum
                              > > > security prison.  A correctional facility is a
                              > > > medium security prison.
                              > > >
                              > > > 2.  As far as I know, when an inmate writes
                              > back, he
                              > > > is supposed to
                              > > > put his return address on it, including the
                              > prison
                              > > > name. I don't think
                              > > > the mail room let's things go out with out the
                              > > > address.  Also, most
                              > > > envelopes now are pre-printed with prison
                              > address on
                              > > > it, and they just
                              > > > fill in their name and number.
                              > > >
                              > > > Please, let me know if you have any other

                              === message truncated ===

                              Do You Yahoo!?

                            • unicorn678
                              Message 14 of 16 , Aug 20 2:08 PM
                                I just joined the group yesterday and trying to read back though all
                                the messages to get to know the group and the members here. Rain I
                                went though the EXACT same thing with my mom when I was 17 and so I
                                might be able to help you a bit. If you wish I can post here my
                                experience of if you would like you are more than welcome to e-mail
                                me privately at unicorn678@...

                                Going to finish reading the posts, but then I hope to be an active
                                member of this group.
                                Jenn

                                --- In friendsofinmates@y..., Lauren Lowe <shadow13_6@y...> wrote:
                                > we've got a po box. the problem is i know she's gonna
                                > freak out about this, so i was wondering if anyine had
                                > any idea with how i could try to reason with her.
                                > especially anyone who's had to deal with that kinda
                                > situation before.
                                >
                                > love, peace, and geese,
                                > rain
                              • unicorn678
                                Message 15 of 16 , Aug 20 2:11 PM
                                  This was an EXCELLENT POST!!!!! I know I'm going to love it here!
                                  Jenn

                                • A Little Smile Friends of Inma
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 14, 2002
                                    Dear Jenn,

                                    Thank you so much for joining! Sorry the site hasn't
                                    been updated much, I've had some rough times lately.

                                    Peace,
                                    Sarah
                                    Friends of Inmates

                                    http://finance.yahoo.com