DC-1 Needs Lubrication

  • Bob Trentacoste
    Message 1 of 9 , May 3, 2014
      Does anyone know how I can lubricate the plastic & metal parts so they slide easier? I have a DC-1 and it's experiencing quite a bit of friction. The instructions say to use mineral oil, but I thought there may be something better. The metal parts seem to have ozidized somewhat, so I need a way to polish them to reduce the friction... Bob T.
    • _jaap
      Message 2 of 9 , May 3, 2014
        I have not lubricated my DC1 but regularly lubricate various plastic puzzles (Rubik's Cube type), and the best for that purpose is silicone spray. Many kinds of oils can damage various plastics, but silicone spray is generally safe but check the can to be sure that it is appropriate for plastics.

        Jaap
        http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/
      • neoarcane2004
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2014
          In my youth I built several models which required lubrication (visible V8 being one) - and IIRC, they used vegetable oil as it was quite safe for plastics.
        • Jim Stephens
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2014

            On 5/3/2014 11:03 AM, _jaap wrote:
            I have not lubricated my DC1 but regularly lubricate various plastic puzzles (Rubik's Cube type), and the best for that purpose is silicone spray. Many kinds of oils can damage various plastics, but silicone spray is generally safe but check the can to be sure that it is appropriate for plastics.

            Jaap
            http://www.jaapsch.net/puzzles/
            I'd be tempted to try graphite dust as in the kind you get for lubricating locks.  It won't damage or react with the plastic, and ultimately could be washed off the plastic, or wiped off the wires.

            any agent with a combination of C, H, F or Si compounds will ultimately react with the plastics and probably not in a good way.

            Jim
          • Bill Heys (Comcast)
            Message 5 of 9 , May 3, 2014
              Be careful you do not harm the value of your DC-1, by using the wrong technique

              Does anyone know how I can lubricate the plastic & metal parts so they slide easier? I have a DC-1 and it's experiencing quite a bit of friction. The instructions say to use mineral oil, but I thought there may be something better. The metal parts seem to have ozidized somewhat, so I need a way to polish them to reduce the friction... Bob T.

            • Neil Morrison
              Message 6 of 9 , May 3, 2014
                Why not rub pencil lead on the parts that are grabbing?

                Neil

                Message 7 of 9 , May 3, 2014
                  I tried that. It helped a little, but not enough... Bob T.

                  Why not rub pencil lead on the parts that are grabbing?

                  Neil

                  I'd be tempted to try graphite dust as in the kind you get for lubricating locks.  It won't damage or react with the plastic, and ultimately could be washed off the plastic, or wiped off the wires.

                • Bill Heys (CC)
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 3, 2014

                    My pencils have graphite LOL

                    Regards,