Good News for the Bears and the Deer --

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 22, 2006
      Friends of Deer,

      Stuart Chaifetz has been acting out for animals in New Jersey for years.
      Stu usually puts most of his efforts into the bears but here he speaks of
      the deer.

      Pat

      Dear friends,

      As expected, the hunters, furious that the Governor and Commissioner

      of DEP cancelled the bear hunt, have sued to have the hunt reinstated.

      Tonight their case was heard before a three judge panel. No decision

      was made, but either way the case will most likely go to the state

      supreme court. We are confident that the courts will uphold the DEP

      Commissioner, and will keep you informed as soon as events unfold.

      In the meantime, if you want to read the Commissioner's excellent

      report that tore apart the bear management policy, you can download

      it here - http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/bearseas06.htm - and here

      -

      http://www.njfishandwildlife.com/pdf/2006/letter_to_council.pdf

      We have good news to report for deer; the mayor and town council of

      Shrewsbury (Monmouth County) met last night and passed a ban on

      hunting within the town. This was a major blow to hunters, who

      showed up in force, yet were completely outnumbered by local

      residents who did not want them in their neighborhood. The best part

      is that we had nothing to do with this; the hunters expended time and

      energy and got their hats handed to them by average citizens whose

      eyes have been opened to the truth. That's beautiful.

      We've updated our website, so please visit us at

      http://www.protectnjanimals.com <http://www.protectnjanimals.com/>

      There is a great deal of information on the site you can use to fight

      against hunting, including an archive of our letters to the editors

      (with all the true stories of hunters killing and maiming animals)

      and a new section titled "Special Investigative Reports." You'll also

      be able to peruse our campaigns and press releases, and see just how

      much we've accomplished in the nearly two years since we were formed.

      I also suggest that you check out http://www.honorandnonviolence.com
      <http://www.honorandnonviolence.com/>

      (my personal site) which has a number of other reports dealing with

      a variety of species that are hunted. For instance, did you know

      that the US Fish and Wildlife Service created "resident" geese when

      they bred geese as live targets for hunters? You'll find that and a

      lot more on the site.

      Thank you for your support, and please consider donating to us so we

      can continue to fight politically for animals. Click on

      http://tinyurl.com/k3jln or send a donation to AP PAC, PO Box 17,

      Manalapan, NJ 07726.

      Stuart Chaifetz

      Director, Animal Protection PAC