Stranger than fiction

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2006
      KENTON, Ohio -- An Ohio teenager was sentenced on Friday for his role in a
      prank that left a person brain-damaged and another disabled for life.

      Last November, Joshua Lowe and four other teens placed a deer decoy in the
      middle of a rural road in the area and watched as motorists swerved to miss
      it.

      Then, police said, Robert Roby Jr. of Kenton swerved to avoid the decoy deer
      on Nov. 18 and crashed his car into a pole and fence. His neck, collarbone,
      arm and leg were broken. His passenger, Dustin Zachariah, has brain damage.

      Lowe was sentenced to 60 days in prison. He could have served up to two
      years behind bars. Lowe addressed the victims' families in the courtroom.

      "I was raised as a man, and my parents raised me to be a man. So I'd like to
      take responsibility and serve my time as a man, just take full
      responsibility. If there was any way I could change this and go back in
      time, I would," he said.

      Lowe was also fined $5,000.

      Kenton High School students Dailyn Campbell, 16, and Jesse Howard, 17, were
      each sentenced Tuesday to 60 days in juvenile detention, to start after the
      football season this fall. In July, Campbell and Howard each pleaded no
      contest to two counts of vehicular vandalism and juvenile charges of
      delinquency by possession of criminal tools and misdemeanor theft.

      Judge Gary McKinley also placed Campbell and Howard on house arrest. They
      must pay fines and restitution, perform community service and write a
      500-word essay titled: "Why I should think before I act."

      The other two defendants -- Taylor Rogers and Corey Manns -- have trials
      scheduled in the fall.

      The boys stole the decoy deer from a man's home and created a base to help
      it stand upright because it had only two legs.

      Watch NBC 4 and refresh nbc4i.com for additional information.