Deer getting their licks in!

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
      oh my, ponder the dharma at work.

      (assuming this is a factual report and not just some contrived pro-
      hunting prop-agit ploy.)

      Deer are charging at people, causing injury and even death from
      thrusting antlers and pummeling hooves.

      As a nature story, the one that game wardens are telling about attack
      deer this fall sounds as hard to believe as the tale of the "killer
      rabbit" that menaced President Jimmy Carter on a fishing trip in
      1979. But wildlife officials warn that getting close to deer is not a
      game. In a rash of incidents since September, aggressive deer have
      caused one death and several serious injuries.

      "People think of deer as Bambi, cute and cuddly, but they can be
      extremely dangerous in certain circumstances," says Steve Martarano,
      spokesman for the California Department of Fish and Game. Some
      instances of what happens when deer and people get too close:

      • Ron Dudek, 73, of Rancho Santa Fe, Calif., died Oct. 17 of
      complications from antler wounds inflicted to his face by a male deer
      that Dudek encountered when he went to pick tomatoes in his backyard
      garden. It was the nation's second deer-assault death in two years:
      Donald Sellers, 79, was fatally gored and mauled by his pet buck in
      Gilbertown, Ala., in 2003.

      • Karen Morris, 56, of Clearlake, Calif., was hospitalized for 12
      days with head injuries in an attack by a young buck Nov. 17 outside
      her home. The horns bruised Clifford Morris, 68, when he came to his
      wife's aid.

      • In Covelo, Calif., on Sept. 29, Arnold and Jeannine Bloom returned
      to their pickup after watering a friend's vegetable garden. A small
      buck ran up to the truck and knocked the man on his back, California
      Department of Fish and Game warden Rusty Boccaleoni says. When
      Jeannine Bloom swung at the animal with a piece of firewood, it
      turned upon her and ripped a hole in her arm. The next day,
      Boccaleoni shot and killed the animal.

      • Game wardens shot five bucks on the streets of Helena, Mont.,
      after the deer threatened staffers at a day care center and a
      teenager delivering newspapers.

      Kurt VerCauteren, a biologist at the National Wildlife Research
      Center in Fort Collins, Colo., blames most of the trouble on the
      edginess of male deer during the fall mating season. And as suburban
      homes encroach on deer habitat, deer that are fed by admiring humans -
      or that browse on lawns and garden vegetables - lose their natural
      fear of people, VerCauteren says.

      In mating season, bucks sometimes wander into big-city downtowns and
      get into trouble. Arriving for work at the Minnesota state Capitol on
      Nov. 3, Gov. Tim Pawlenty heard shattering glass and was nearly
      bowled over in the parking lot by a buck bounding away from two
      windows it had broken. The California Department of Fish and Game in
      October issued a reminder not to feed deer - it is a misdemeanor
      here - and to "deer-proof" property. Aside from maintaining fences,
      homeowners can spray plants with deer repellent, VerCauteren says.

      The mating season for much of the country ended in November but
      extends to January in Florida. Problems could crop up again in
      spring, when does are protecting fawns, says Craig Stowers,
      coordinator of the California state deer program.

      Rambunctious deer don't always observe the biological clock. In
      August 2004, out of the mating season, a buck pummeled Gene Novikoff,
      80, near Cameron, Mont. Novikoff suffered a broken rib. "He looked
      like he was in a bar fight," says warden Marc Glines of the Montana
      Department of Fish, Wildlife and Parks. Glines, who killed the deer,
      says it was "in need of psychoanalysis."

      The family of California deer victims Karen and Clifford Morris is
      reacting good-naturedly to ribbing from incredulous neighbors. "It
      puts a whole new spin on (the country song) Grandma Got Run Over By a
      Reindeer," says Tammy Black, the couple's daughter.

      Deer attacks: Nature, civilization lock horns
      By Martin Kasindorf, USA TODAY

      Fri Dec 2, 7:16 AM ET

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/usatoday/deerattacksnaturecivilizationlockhorn
      s;_ylt=AulrXCJCCNlUKuvCwzdQ0hlH2ocA;_ylu=X3oDMTA3MjBwMWtkBHNlYwM3MTg-

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2005
        Imp,

        I'm sick and tired of fish and game telling me, and people like me, that
        I think of deer as "Bambi." The assumption of the Bambi story by fish
        and game is that individuals who do not support hunting of deer are
        either naïve or stupid.

        This story sort of reminds me of Iraq -- if you cannot get support of
        the war by sheer bull shit then scare the public to death with stories
        of weapons of mass destruction.

        I've seen a rambunctious buck or two in my years of watching and
        feeding. The rambunctious bucks I recall were not tame or eating at my
        feeder. The hunters don't worry about taming deer when they are feeding
        them so they can ultimately kill them. So, it is just the Bambi people
        who turn out dangerous deer by feeding them.

        Yesterday, I read about some goon from Randolph, NJ who was up in these
        parts deer hunting; it seems he shot and killed someone's German
        Shepherd and was ultimately fined. Another goon hunting up in these
        regions was shot and killed by his friends as they "herded" the deer so
        that they could shoot them.

        There is story after story of goons getting shot by other goons while
        they are on their hunting adventures. Fish and Game suggests that we
        should fear the animals? Now, who is being naïve and stupid?

        Pat

        Yahoo! Groups Links
      • Bear
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2005
          its a plain fact of life, Fish And Game are like all hunters will spin all
          thelies and deceit they can to support themselves, they will spin all half
          truths into the "cold hard facts" that they want... and Like christians in
          general, if you don't belive what they do, you are mentually diseased. No
          matter that their position is not supported by reality, but oh well.