November Trick or Treat

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 28, 2005
      This week the Appalachian hills of Pennsylvania boast a flurry of
      activity. Costumed adults and children (the goblins) alike search the
      hills for the allusive buck. They are easy to spot in their costumes of
      either green fatigues or bright red. They travel in trucks, vans and
      ATV's with guns in hand. You can spot the costumes in the highest hills
      and their vehicles on the small roads that are ordinarily quiet. This
      morning alone we passed 5 red guys with a large dead bear - all those
      machos to kill one bear. Farther down the road we came across 3 green
      guys with a single dead deer. The gunshots never stop echoing across
      the mountain hills. Iraq this time of year is a bedroom community when
      compared to these parts. The guy next door won't let his livestock out
      of the barn.

      The evening brings out the glow in the dark goons. While relaxing in
      front of the TV one is startled to find bright lights shining through in
      the front windows. The glow in the dark trick or treaters (or ghouls)
      are looking for a treat in your front yard-a treat that they can fire
      upon. Just because it may be in a yard that belongs to someone else
      does not deter them from shining their intrusive light along fields, in
      trees and in house windows. It is almost as if they think we keep a
      deer or two in the house and if we did they would shoot at it. We've
      purchased a large spot light so that when they shine it at us we shine
      it at them.

      Across the road sits a small trailer on 12 acres. The property belongs
      to a hunter that lives in Allentown, Pa. He announced his arrival the
      other night by throwing Molotov cocktails down the front of his
      property. It was 10 o'clock when his booming bombs blasted our senses.
      On this trip he is accompanied by his mentally challenged son-oh yes, in
      their red costumes. After returning from breakfast this morning, he
      boosted himself up one of his trees while his retarded son wandered
      aimlessly below with the rifle in hand. Duh!

      Most of us decorate our trees with signed yellow signs that read POSTED.
      The daytime trick or treaters voice their disdain to the unfriendly
      signs by doing a trick-they throw their garbage in front of the posted
      trees. The evening trick or treaters voice this disdain by returning
      every evening.

      It was relatively quiet in these parts for Halloween trick or treat -
      but November trick or treat, well that's another story.