SpayVac

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2005
      Hi Friend of Deer,

      UPS picked up the envelope and brochures about noon today, so you
      should have them some time on Wednesday.

      There is something that I should give you a "heads up" about. Earlier
      this summer at Princeton, it was discovered that some of the deer
      treated with SpayVac in 2004, last year, gave birth to fawns - quite
      unexpectedly. However, the deer that had been treated in 2003 had NOT
      become pregnant in either 2004 or 2005.

      This had us quite perplexed at first, but the cause soon became
      evident: the vaccine that had failed to produce the desired result
      had been given a heat treatment to 85 degrees Celsius (185 F) rather
      than the usual 75 degrees Celsius (167 F). At Princeton and a couple
      of other trial sites where the 85 degree SpayVac had been used, we
      found reduced efficacy.

      IVT had used the higher heat treatments to try to achieve a higher
      sterility standard with SpayVac, as they had done this with other
      vaccines without a loss of efficacy. However, with the PZP in
      SpayVac, the story turned out differently.

      I understand that some articles about this have appeared in some NJ
      newspapers, although I have not yet seen any of them. Some writers,
      I'm sure, will try to portray this as proof that SpayVac doesn't work
      (and that contraceptive vaccines for wildlife management cannot work).

      There is nothing basically wrong with SpayVac. It has performed very
      well and continues to perform very well - except for the batches that
      were treated at 85 degrees C. All future vaccine to be used in trials
      will be SpayVac "classic" (i.e., treated at 75-degrees C).

      [The brochures show the results for the Penn State studies out to
      year 3. None of the 5 deer in the SpayVac treatment group became
      pregnant in that time. However, in years 4 and 5, 1 of the 5 did
      become pregnant. That is still 80 % effective after 5 years, which is
      quite acceptable in my view.]

      This unfortunate glitch is bound to create confusion, but I wanted to
      make sure that you were aware of the facts, because the newspapers
      are almost certain to get it wrong!

      All the best,
      Mark

      Mark A. Fraker