Deer or Ducks, th' Gummint is on the job!

  • Imp Ster
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2005
      Woman Helps Ill Duck, but State Seizes It

      AUBURN, Wash. - It didn't matter that Diane Erdmann had nursed the
      brown- and yellow-feathered duck back to health after he'd been
      injured.

      Wildlife agents considered Gooey wildlife, so they seized him.

      "It's a situation that we run across every year," state Fish and
      Wildlife Capt. Bill Hebner said. "People find sick or injured
      wildlife they believe to be orphaned and they take it into captivity
      and make pets out of them.

      "The agency does not support that concept. We believe wildlife is
      wildlife and pets are pets and there's a strong distinction between
      the two."

      The Fish and Wildlife Department is looking into whether Erdmann
      should be charged with unlawful possession of wildlife. The Auburn
      Police Department is investigating the wildlife officers, one of whom
      Erdmann says struck her as he snatched the duck away.

      State officials insist the officers were only doing their job.
      Nonetheless, they're looking into Erdmann's claims to determine
      whether the officers may have been overzealous.

      Erdmann said she got Gooey, now 11 weeks old, from a friend after the
      then-day-old duckling had been injured by a crow.

      She said he was "not a wild duck" but a domestic mallard.

      She got a book on raising ducks, kept him under heat lamps, fed him
      chicken food and vitamin supplements, bought him custom-made duck
      diapers and brought him to work every day.

      "It's a very spoiled little duck," said Ross B. Hansen, owner of
      Northwest Territorial Mint in this south Seattle suburb.

      Last Friday, two state Fish and Wildlife agents showed up at
      Northwest Territorial Mint asking for Erdmann, who's a manager at the
      company.

      Kristin Donovan, assistant to the company president, said she
      heard "a very loud, very booming, very aggressive-type voice."

      "He said, 'Give me the duck.' I heard a pause, then, 'If you don't
      give me the duck, I'm going to arrest you.'"

      When Erdmann refused to hand Gooey over, she said the officers became
      more stern. One of them showed her his handcuffs. As she cradled
      Gooey in her arms, the other one lunged at her and grabbed the duck,
      striking Erdmann on the chest, she said.

      Erdmann filed a complaint with Auburn police, who said they would
      forward their report to the city prosecutor.

      Under certain circumstances, it can be legal to possess wildlife, but
      it takes a permit and other requirements have to be met.

      A Fish and Wildlife spokesman said Gooey is well and living in a
      rehabilitation center.

      Erdmann and her colleagues say they're stunned by how ridiculous it
      all seems.

      "There are a million ducks in Washington," Hansen said. "It's not
      like this is an endangered duck."

      http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20050820/ap_on_fe_st/duck_seized;_ylt=Ahsk4
      hEccR6tipK7gnWTfZjtiBIF;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

      where's that "freedom" that the Shrub keeps parroting about?

      i feel sorry for the wee duckling - it was already bonded to the lady
      and now is pining away in that "rehab".

      methinks a certain Fish-Game thug needs a lil spiritual rehabbing
      himself.