Re: [Friends of Deer] fawn in my backyard

  • Bear
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 5, 2005
      Well, its sounds like of this time, and maybe from the begining he was
      abondoned by his mother, which is not rare. If you can not find anyone
      willing to rescue this fawn, and have the time and energy to do it yerself,
      I would say go for it. But thats just my opponion, have several websites
      that discuss it.

      http://www.friskys.org/friskysfawn.htm
      http://www.diaa.org/orphan.htm
      http://www.zoo-gro.com/fawn-gro.htm
      http://albertadeer.com/library/articles/fawns.htm

      This is going to be a VERY major undertaking, and the fawn still might not
      survive, because of not recieving critical nutrition and colestrum at birth,
      but even like goat colestrum which can be purchased, would help. But do not
      be surprised if the baby dies anyway.

      But you best be 100% certain this baby has been abondoned, is it always in
      the same rough place? or is it long distances away? If its not father then
      its general walking about, it might be abondoned. And espically if you had
      noticed afterbirth and such neer the baby.

      If it was me, I would rescue the baby, but I can not even tell you to
      undertake such a hard, and possibly heartbrakeing undertaking.

      I have not personaly rescued a baby deer myself, nor raised one yet, only my
      pony that was born to my pony mare, and she thankfuly didn't reject him. So
      can't actually help much on true logistics, but am very good with animals in
      general, and will help with any advise I am able to if you go through with
      this.

      The Lost Bear

      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 7, 2005
        Hello Andrea:

        Where is your house located? Maybe I can call you. I'm in NJ and -- as we
        speak, am bottle feeding a baby caught in a flash flood when he was 1 day
        old. I thought he had died when he was presented to me to help, but.

        #1 I warmed him up
        #2 I gave him Pedialite by baby bottle. (to replace lost fluids and combat
        dehydration)
        #3 I'm feeding him GOAT milk (available at my supermarket). Whole milk
        really gives them
        diarrhea. Get a nice soft nipple and make the hole a little bigger --
        something that doesn't build up gases and train the baby to nurse.
        #4 I gave him fluids (25cc -- 2 times) sub Q (although many people won't
        have the fluids available -- however I got some Normalsol from my vet.
        #5 I had him on oxygen for 1 1/2 hours and

        Whala! Back to life jumped "Baby Boomer".

        Sounds like he (she?) wants and needs to trust you. Just like a human baby
        -- TLC, TLC, TLC and the response can be amazing.

        I only hope your little friend makes it. You sound like a lovely person:)

        Anna (and Blossom, the deer)

        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 7, 2005
          Anna, you are a marvel and I am glad to hear that you still have
          Blossom.

          Pat

          #1 I warmed him up
          #2 I gave him Pedialite by baby bottle. (to replace lost fluids and
          combat
          dehydration)
          #3 I'm feeding him GOAT milk (available at my supermarket). Whole milk

          really gives them
          diarrhea. Get a nice soft nipple and make the hole a little bigger
          --
          something that doesn't build up gases and train the baby to nurse.
          #4 I gave him fluids (25cc -- 2 times) sub Q (although many people
          won't
          have the fluids available -- however I got some Normalsol from my vet.
          #5 I had him on oxygen for 1 1/2 hours and

          Whala! Back to life jumped "Baby Boomer".

          Sounds like he (she?) wants and needs to trust you. Just like a human
          baby
          -- TLC, TLC, TLC and the response can be amazing.

          I only hope your little friend makes it. You sound like a lovely
          person:)

          Anna (and Blossom, the deer)

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • unicornlim@aol.com