Deer Slaughter at Duke Estate (NJ)

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2005
      We have just learned that a massive slaughter of the deer on the Duke
      Estates is now underway.

      Against the Will of Doris Duke for her property to be a wildlife refuge,
      the Trustees of her will have authorized the slaughter/removal of all
      but a few deer. Several hundred have already been killed and the goal
      is to leave
      only a few deer that will then be immunocontracepted.

      While hundreds of deer have been removed from the Duke Estates farm
      area, now deer inside the fenced area are also being shot......a
      sharp-shooting organization is shooting captive deer that have no place
      to flee!

      PLEASE come out to protest with us on Saturday, January 8th, 11:00 a.m.
      to 2:00 p.m. I am leaving from Millburn and will happily carpool anyone
      from near here.

      Directions:

      Route 78-West to (202, 206 South)
      Route 206-South (Duke Estates right on this hwy.)
      Protestors will assembly at the front stone entrance at the light,
      called Duke Parkway - East.

      Parking:

      Heading South on 206, go right onto the Jug Handle at the Duke Parkway
      - East intersection to make a left turn towards Manville.

      Approximately 1/2 mile on the right is a housing development. The
      streets: Taylor Ave. and Johannson Avenue will have ample parking.
      However, shuttles will be arranged to drive protestors back to the
      protest site.

      PLEASE bring signs, examples:

      "Doris Duke's Trustees can't be Trusted"

      "Trustees lied...... no immunocontraceptive used before slaughter"

      "Trustees betray Doris Duke's wildlife refuge"

      Any questions, let me know.
      PLEASE COME OUT and help stop this heinous slaughter of innocent deer.
      Even though the Duke Estate is private property, public opinion is very
      important to them. The Estate is being very covert with this slaughter.
      We need to let them know we strongly oppose killing the deer, while
      Doris Duke's will wants the Estate to be kept a preserve for the
      wildlife!