Good news for a change --

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 23, 2004
      08/20/04 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
      Hanover survey: Don't kill the deer

      By Rob Seman, Daily Record

      HANOVER - Most township residents responding to a survey about how to
      control deer said they do not want the animals killed.

      Most chose non-lethal control methods or to do nothing at all about the
      deer, and many also voiced concerns about over-development.

      As of a Wednesday tally, about one-third, or 1,572, of the 5,000
      households receiving the survey responded, said township committeeman
      Len Fariello.

      Here are the survey results so far:

      * 385 (23 percent) want to cull the deer by using professional hunters.
      * 716 (43 percent) want to pursue non-lethal methods to control the deer
      population.
      * 565 (34 percent) want to do nothing about the deer.

      Fariello noted that many respondents chose both the lethal and
      non-lethal option and were given credit for both. He said concerns about
      the destruction of landscaping outweighed concerns about car accidents
      involving deer.

      The township committee was expected to discuss the statistics on
      Thursday night.

      "I prefer to investigate the nonlethal methods now that that's the
      majority," Fariello said on Thursday before the meeting.

      Griffith Drive resident Adrian DeCicco said that in addition to the
      survey, she wrote to township administrator Joseph Giorgio, urging him
      to use nonlethal methods to control the deer population.

      "I don't think it's necessary to go out and hunt them and shoot them,"
      DeCicco said.

      DeCicco, who works for the township of Millburn, which has held deer
      cullings in recent years, said that the use of reflectors along roadways
      could reduce car accidents with the animals. She added that the use of
      plants that the deer are not attracted to would prevent them from
      ruining landscaping.

      "I think people should just learn how to live with wildlife," DeCicco
      said.

      Theresa Kerekes, a resident of Berkshire Street, however, said she has
      tried that already with little success.

      "Ten years ago when I moved here I thought they were adorable," Kerekes
      said.

      That was until Kerekes found herself spending $1,000 per year replacing
      plants eaten by the animals. That cost rose to $2,000 this year.

      "I love flowers," Kerekes said. "And there's no way I can have them."

      Yet, Kerekes said she also wrote to the township committee urging them
      to use non-lethal methods to control the number of deer.

      "I don't want people to come and shoot them," Kerekes said.

      "There's loads of woods in New Jersey," Kerekes said. "I say rent big
      trucks and take them there. I just don't want them in my front yard
      anymore."

      Many respondents voiced concerns about development in the township,
      Fariello said. Some mentioned "too many new housing developments" and
      "stop building and give back the habitat" in their comments.

      "I think in a sense the survey brought out another issue that's on
      everybody's mind that's occurring in the township," Fariello said.