NJ Article: Animal-rights advocates slam bow-hunting proposal

  • Colleen <wildfawn1@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 31, 2003
      Someone sent me a letter today with Shakespeare's take on lawyers:
      "the first thing we do, let's kill all the lawyers." Henry VI, Part
      II.

      Will, you'll never know how right you were. (And if I really need
      to say it, I'm not supporting violence.)

      I bet all those who gave money to support the lawyers in Princeton
      are happy to know that it went to promoting bowhunting because
      bowhunting produces a "humane kill" and that deer are a "resource".

      Stu

      Animal-rights advocates slam bow-hunting proposal

      By: David Campbell , Staff Writer 01/31/2003

      Attorney for hunters dismisses critics as fringe 'extremists' who give
      animal rights a bad name.

      Animal-rights advocates expressed outrage at a proposal this week
      by
      foes of Princeton Township's lethal deer-management plan that seeks to
      supplant deer killing by sharpshooters and captive-bolt guns with a
      program
      of coordinated bow hunting.
      Attorney Falk Engel, who presented the bow-hunting plan to the
      Township
      Committee Monday night on behalf of Robbinsville resident Robert
      Kubiak and
      his group, Hunters Advocate, dismissed his critics as
      fringe "extremists"
      who give animal rights a bad name.
      Stuart Chaifetz of the League of Animal Protection Voters accused
      Mr.
      Engel of forging an unholy alliance with hunters that betrays animal
      rights.
      Mr. Chaifetz said the state Fish and Game Council, which this
      month
      rejected the township's proposal to undertake a third year of culling
      with
      rifles and bolting in conjunction with an experimental birth-control
      program, used net-and-bolt to "blackmail" the municipality into
      opening up
      its public lands to sport hunting.
      "The road to hell is paved with good intentions," Mr. Chaifetz
      said.
      "Net-and-bolt is obviously cruel, but so is bow hunting."
      In fact, the animal-rights advocate said, bow hunting is probably
      worse
      because it has a high wounding rate and animals die from loss of
      blood.
      "We feel stunned, betrayed and angry," he said. "Their efforts
      will
      result in increased cruelty."
      Sue Russell, also of the League of Animal Protection Voters, said
      the
      Hunters Advocate plan shows "a promethean ignorance of deer-population
      ecology" because limited killing by means such as bow hunting spurs
      deer
      reproduction, and called it "indefensible."
      "With friends this god-awful stupid," Ms. Russell said of bow
      hunters,
      "animals don't need enemies."
      Angi Metler, director of New Jersey Animal Rights Alliance,
      said, "We
      are appalled and will not be party to any collaboration between
      hunters and
      attorneys calling for anyone to kill deer in Princeton or anywhere
      else."
      Mr. Engel described his camp as "a centrist mainstream coalition"
      that
      rejects extremism of any stripe, and said he was not surprised by the
      criticism.
      "It's never been our ambition to speak for the voices of
      extremism,
      whether it's Mayor Phyllis Marchand and the animal-extermination
      side, or
      the outer periphery of animal-protection militants," he said.
      The attorney disputed Mr. Chaifetz's claim that bow hunting is
      more
      inhumane than bolting, noting, "I believe that skilled and
      experienced bow
      hunters shooting properly will produce a more humane kill." Mr. Engel
      said
      hunters under the proposal by Hunters Alliance would be tested for
      such
      skills.
      Mr. Engel called the plan a compromise that was "immensely
      preferable"
      to the township's pending program, as it protects the public from
      high-powered rifle fire and protects the rights of hunters.
      "Extremists do not speak for animal protection," the attorney
      said.
      "When a few shrill voices give the impression that that's what animal
      rights is all about, it's very destructive."
      To illustrate his point, Mr. Engel said his group tried
      unsuccessfully
      to find the culprit who vandalized Mayor Marchand's car with animal
      entrails in the wake of culling last winter.
      "It illustrates extremism, and that's precisely why we refuse to
      associate with them," he said.
      Bruce Afran, co-counsel with Mr. Engel on behalf of more than 30
      plaintiffs in several legal actions against the township over its deer
      cull, said critics have a right to their views, and in turn should
      recognize the rights of others, including hunters.
      "The point is that the resource is being destroyed by Princeton
      completely, and both the nature lover and the hunter lose out," Mr.
      Afran
      said. "What we're doing is fighting for the rights of all the people
      who
      have rights to use this resource."
      Last winter, White Buffalo, the wildlife-management firm hired by
      the
      township to cull the herd, killed 303 deer with sharpshooting and
      captive
      bolting. In 2001, White Buffalo sharpshooters killed 322 deer.
      Township officials have said the program is a safe and humane
      means to
      reduce deer-car collisions, the spread of Lyme disease and damage to
      gardens and the ecosystem caused by deer overpopulation.
      The township's goal is a herd of about 320 deer. A survey
      conducted by
      helicopter in December counted about 680 deer, township officials have
      said, compared to an estimated herd of 1,600 in 2000 before the start
      of
      the cull.
      On Monday night, the Township Committee decided to resubmit in
      full its
      third-year deer-management plan to the Fish and Game Council, with
      added
      concessions to hunters.
      The township promises non-encroachment on private lands used by
      hunting
      clubs and to consider opening some public lands to sport hunting in
      time
      for the 2003-2004 hunting season.

      ┬ęPacket Online 2003

      "Live in peace with the animals. Animals bring love to our hearts,
      and warmth to our souls."

      Colleen Klaum

      "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with
      men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
      Immanuel Kant

      Be the voice for the voiceless, join our group today: