Hunting on Public Lands --

  • Patricia Scala
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
      Let me explain how it works in Readington Township.

      Readington is known for buying up farms to
      maintain
      "open space" and our property taxes reflect it.
      Readington maintain a "hunting sub-committee"
      which
      comments on opening up public lands for hunting.
      The
      sub-committee always encourages hunting on public
      lands because these lands are opened to the
      highest-bidding gun clubs--well, almost. The
      committee recommends that "local" citizens be
      given
      first dibs on leasing for hunting and guess
      what--the
      group that is approving the hunting on public
      lands
      will become the lords of these lands. It is all
      about
      money--nothing else.

      Ron Monaco, a township committee member who heads
      this
      committee is not a hunter. But I suggested to him
      that
      the committee be opened to other citizens of the
      town
      and of course, that was rejected. Obviously.
      Then I
      suggested that they take all the blood money that
      they
      were making from the gun clubs and funnel it into
      road
      reflectors and a birth control project for those
      deer
      who reside in the neighborhoods. This, too, was
      rejected.

      As far as safety concerns of the hunting, it was
      recommended that the clubs be insured for 1
      million.
      It was also mentioned that anyone who belongs to
      the
      ARA is automatically insured for $1 million (so
      that
      took care of that). There was no real concern of
      anyone or anything getting injured--just enough
      insurance to cover it--whatever it may be.

      Some of the public parcels are small. These parcels
      will be leased for bow only. No concern for the
      pain
      inflicted on the deer; no concern for the deer
      that
      will get away to die a miserable death.

      The one that did most of the wheeling and dealing
      claims to be an animal lover.

      Monaco was chastised for selling one of the public

      parcels to Fish & Game. He bragged that he made a

      huge profit. Of course they (F&G) will use the
      parcel
      for hunting. The talkative one objected that now
      "Newark" and "Jersey City" will now be in
      Readington.
      There is a big, big concern about "outsiders" on
      this
      committee particularly from areas that are heavily

      populated by people of color. Surprised?

      When attacking these bills you do have to
      concentrate
      on who will profit and what will happen to the
      money.
      Hunting on acrage forces the deer into the housing

      areas. Hunting and sharp shooting in these areas
      are
      dangerous. In Readington, the deer population
      never
      seems to change. So, they don't even bother to
      refer
      to it as a "management" program (as they did when
      it
      was started). Readington's open space hunting is
      strictly a profit making proposition.
      Unfortunately,
      for the tax payers and the wildlife involved, the
      beneficiaries are the politically connected.

      It has nothing to do with managing wildlife.
    • Colleen Klaum
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 1, 2002
        Like you said Pat, it's all about money.

        *Colleen* (Catwoman)

        Patricia Scala
        wrote: Let me explain how it works in Readington Township.