Update on deer hunting bill

  • Colleen Klaum
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2002
      Hi everyone,

      Some of you have already heard the good news that A424 was "held" by
      the committee, which meant that it did not have support to pass.
      This doesn't mean this is over, but this is a real positive step.

      You should all know that your calls and writing made a big impact. I
      know that the phone mailboxes of some of the committee members were
      full by Sunday, so, even though we had little time, we made an
      important statement.

      I want to clear up a few issues surrounding this bill, as it was
      written somewhat confusing, and it is important that we are correct
      in our opposition.

      The bill would make it so that anyone getting property through the
      Green Acres Program would have to submit a deer management proposal.
      It would not in itself mandate hunting, but it is still dangerous for
      the following reason:

      Anyone who is in the process of preserving land through Green Acres
      will present their plan to the Division of Fish and Game. Lets say
      they have deer on the property and want to use birth control or
      another non-lethal method to control the population.

      Fish and Game will look at it and tell them no. They will tell them
      that the only method they accept is hunting, or if there is an
      alternative it will still be lethal, such as "sniper" or "net and
      bolt". Fish and Game will then pressure them until they agree to
      some sort of killing.

      There is no doubt this will happen. It has happened before and will
      continue to do so until they are stopped.

      There is also another reason for this. Fish and Game commissioned a
      study a few years ago about why so many hunters were not hunting
      anymore. The main reason why is that hunters complained that there
      weren't new properties for them to hunt. Since then, Fish and Game
      has focused on securing new hunting land for their customers. That
      is why having Fish and Game in any authoritative position in regards
      to Green Acres is extremely dangerous and unwise.

      I read the following statement from Fish and Game at the hearing. It
      is important because it exposes what they do and why they absolutely
      cannot be trusted to manage our deer populations. For those of you
      who aren't aware about the nature of Fish and Game, please visit my
      web site: www.HonorAndNonViolence.com, and read some of the reports
      there.

      "Habitat development and maintenance to benefit deer are conducted on
      73 state owned Fish and Wildlife management areas totaling over
      192,000 acres. Habitat management is encouraged on other public and
      private lands. Limited burning, wood harvest and planting of various
      agricultural crops favored by deer can increase the carrying capacity
      by increasing the quality and quantity of food available." An
      Assessment of Deer Hunting in New Jersey (pg.10)

      In conclusion, I must note that this agriculture committee is by far
      the most friendly and open that I have ever seen. Previous
      committees in the Senate and Assembly have rarely listened to us, or
      given any weight to what we had to say. This committee actually
      asked us questions! And more importantly, they expressed a genuine
      interest in the issues and in learning more about the situation.

      If you have time, please let the chairman and members know that their
      fairness is greatly appreciated.

      Thanks for your support!

      Stu Chaifetz

      --------

      Assembly Agriculture & Natural Resources Committee Members:

      Assemblyman Robert Smith, Chair
      <mailto:asmrsmith@...>asmrsmith@...
      110-f Greentree Road
      Washington Twsp., NJ 08012