Ode to Jack's Mother

  • patscala
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 4 5:07 PM
      Jack was a tame buck that was born in the spring of 2000. I spent
      many enjoyable moments with this large male fawn with huge ears
      like one would find on a Jack Ass. When I used to share a
      cluster of grapes with Jack I used to hope that I would be able to see
      Jack as a full grown buck. Jack's mother had no special
      characteristics that one could draw a name on so I
      simply called her Jack's Mother.

      A year passed and it brought a new sibling for Jack. Jack was
      still trailing his mother even though she was trying to chase
      him off. One day, with her fawn still in the bush, Jack's mother
      approached a group of deer in the yard with her head twisted
      in an obvious threatening jesture. She threatened the deer, she
      threatened me and threatened Jack who was standing next to me. This
      was my first experience with a threatening doe (and my last). Jack's
      Mother would never threaten again and I would never see her son
      again after that day.

      more to follow...