  • pat scala
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2011

      TOWN AND COUNTRY • Traci Cardenas wants to eliminate the possibility of deer hunters roaming Town and Country and, armed with rifles, accidentally gunning down a beloved family pet, or worse, a child.
      She took to the intersection of Clayton and Mason roads Wednesday evening with about 60 others armed with candles, flashlights and signs warning fellow residents of the dangers they see in the city's latest deer control ordinance.
      The ordinance allows deer hunters to shoot from the backs of pickups, instead of strictly from deer stands as in the past, and to hunt on five acres of land, down from 10 acres in the ordinance's previous incarnation.
      Even more haunting, Cardenas said, is that residents can receive as little as four hours' notice of hunting taking place near their homes.
      "My neighbors have animals and small children they let into their yards," she said. "Most people wouldn't even know this was going on if we weren't out here."
      Changes to the ordinance were approved by the Board of Aldermen in October. Alderman Al Gerber suggested adding sterilization to the plan. The city has used both methods in the past. This time, the board went with a staff recommendation for euthanizing the animals.
      White Buffalo Inc., the deer management firm that performed both euthanasia and sterilization under previous city contracts, has been contracted for the sharpshooting.
      The group that organized the vigil, the Committee for Safe and Responsible Deer Management, includes Cardenas and other residents who would like to see the deer sterilized to whittle the population.
      Early Wednesday evening, Town and Country resident Mariette Palmer was seated at the corner of Mason and Clayton, holding a sign that said: "No to hunting or killing; yes to safe cost-effective non-lethal deer control."
      For urban areas, she said, sharpshooting should not even be an option.
      "The unnecessary insistence on killing the deer disrupts the peace and order of our communities, pits neighbor against neighbor and threatens the stability of our civic government," she said.
      Copyright 2011 STLtoday.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
      Posted in Metro on Thursday, December 29, 2011 12:05 am Updated: 10:36 am. | Tags: Town And Country, Deer Control, Sharpshooting, Marlon A. Walker,