Two deer swimming along River Road.

  • pat scala
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 27, 2011
      LOUISVILLE, KY.  (WDRB) -- By popular demand, the video of two deer swimming
      along River Road in Louisville is posted here.
      WDRB Fox 41 News chief photographer Ken Bradley captured the deer, barely heads
      above water, swimming near the Louisville Water Tower on Monday afternoon.
      Obviously the deer were seeking higher ground as their usual habitat near the
      Ohio River is disturbed.
      Flooding in the past here has produced images of horses swimming against flash
      flood waters; these deer are no exception.
      Fox41 News Facebook fans were quick to sound off about the video:
      "Wow!" said Sharon Peay. "Now that's something you don't see every day!"
      "Never knew the deer could swim!" Barbara Kaiser Jones added. "But loved seeing
      them heading for higher ground! Hope they made it to safety!"
      "A 'Deer Crossing' sign in the background would be cool," joked Spence Burkhead.
      Flooding has been a huge concern across parts of Kentucky. On Monday night,
      Kentucky Gov. Steve Beshear declared a state of emergency.
      "Today I have issued this declaration in order to make sure our citizens and
      local officials have all the help they need to prepare and respond to these
      storms," he stated. "This declaration opens up the pipelines and the purse
      strings to enable us to get resources to where they are needed, as quickly as
      possible. In addition, all of state government has been mobilized to assist
      Kentuckians in need."
      His office warned that the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers could face possible
      "historic" flooding along the rivers the Kentucky/Tennessee line on the
      Mississippi through the Cairo confluences and all the way up the Ohio River to
      Smithland, Ky. Moderate flooding on the Ohio is expected from Smithland upstream
      to Louisville.
      More severe weather is expected Tuesday night and throughout the day on
      Wednesday. Fox 41 Meteorologist Marc Weinberg warned of possible tornadic
      activity -- and unfortunately -- more rain.
      "What I think is most likely is a tornado outbreak will occur in northern
      Tennessee through eastern Kentucky late tomorrow morning through the afternoon,"
      he said. "Our southern counties much watch this incredibly closely. Areas like
      E-town, KY to Munfordville, KY to Columbia, KY need to be aware and watch
      closely for this risk. This is potentially a very dangerous situation."
      High water is also an issue south of Louisville. It's not only the Ohio that is
      causing problems. In Shepherdsville, Ky., it's the Salt River, and it's
      prompting voluntary evacuations.
      As the water began to swallow nearby stop signs and mailboxes, the owner of Auto
      Paint and Performance decided he had waited long enough. It was time to go.
      "We're not taking any chances. A lot of the people who have been here a lot
      longer than I have are recommending it's time to get out," said Tim Garrett.
      They came to the same conclusion at the clothing store across the street.
      "Don't want to lose anything. No flood insurance, so I don't want to replace
      everything out of our pocket. Can't afford to that," said store owner Judy
      It may have been the right call. Another round of rain moved into the Bullitt
      County area Monday afternoon. Roads were being closed all over Shepherdsville,
      leaving some neighborhoods with fewer options for getting out before this water
      gets any higher."
      The only mode of transportation near Froman Lake, if you don't want to wade
      through waist-high water, is now row boat. Toby Tyler was loading up on the
      essentials before taking his family back to their home. Many of his neighbors
      have already left, but he remains optimistic they'll be able to wait out the
      "It would take another day of rain or so. I mean heavy rain, for it really to
      get up into our house, but there a lot of places back there that are going to
      get flooded pretty rough," said Tyler.