For deer rescuers, save may be costly

  • pat scala
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 20 11:18 AM
      By Laura Vozella
      Monday, December 20, 2010
      Two men who rescued a deer trapped in Patapsco River ice were each fined $90 by
      a state Natural Resources Police officer because they did not have life vests
      aboard the inflatable boat they used to reach the animal.

      A 911 caller reported a deer stuck in the ice near Route 648 in Linthicum about
      5 p.m. Thursday, Sgt. Brian Albert of the Maryland Natural Resources Police

      A natural resources officer and a Baltimore County fire crew arrived and were
      discussing whether to attempt a rescue when two men on the scene decided they
      would do it themselves, Albert said.

      "The river there, I'm told, is probably over 100 feet wide, maybe a little
      wider," Albert said. The deer was "out toward the middle" of the river, which
      "more than likely has some current," he said.

      "The fire department was kind of game-planning what they would do," Albert said.
      "With Natural Resources Police, we will attempt, but we are not going to risk a
      human life for a deer life, as cruel as that may sound. . . . I'm as sympathetic
      as the next person on that deer being in the water, but when you weigh the risk
      to the reward, I would probably decide not to try to rescue that deer."

      Firefighters and the natural resources officer advised the men not to go out on
      the water, particularly without life vests, Albert said.

      But the men went out in their boat and freed the deer.
      Jim Hart, 46, who lives in Carroll County, was driving by and stopped to see
      what was happening. "I saw something moving," he said. "I saw them trying to
      break the ice."

      Khalil Abusakran, 33, from Baltimore County, said he also was driving by and saw
      people throwing rocks and sticks at the deer.

      Abusakran got a rubber boat from his van. "The deer was stuck and couldn't get
      up off the ice," he said.

      Abusakran and Hart got in the boat and went out into the water, which they said
      was about 10 feet deep. Hart said they had to work to break the ice using oars
      and shovels. The two men were finally able to break open a wide enough section
      of ice for the deer to struggle free.

      Abusakran said he thought it looked like the deer was pregnant.
      Hart said the Natural Resources Police officer issued him and Abusakran $90
      citations for not having personal flotation devices on board. State law requires
      that all boaters have a personal flotation device with them at all times on any
      navigable body of water, though they are not required to wear them unless they
      are younger than 16.

      Abusakran said he had two personal flotation devices in his boat and that he
      repeatedly told the Natural Resources officer that.

      Albert said the men could have faced a stiffer charge: disobeying a lawful

      "They could have been arrested and taken before a commissioner," Albert said.
      "Our officer erred on the side of the least invasive action that he could take
      at the time."

      Hart said several people had contacted him and offered to pay the citation, but
      he said that's not the point.

      The men said they will fight the citations in court Feb. 18.
      washingtonpost.com  > Metro