Deer swims in Gastonia pool

  • pat scala
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2009
      By TONY BURBECK / NewsChannel 36
      E-mail Tony: TBurbeck@...

      October 30th, 2009
      * GASTONIA, N.C. -- Neighbors thought it was a Halloween prank. But yes, it really was a deer swimming laps in a pool.
      Surveillance video from the Ashley Arms Historic Apartments shows the deer swimming for about 15 minutes inside the indoor pool.
      "Shock and surprise," said Meredith Gaddis, resident manager at the apartment complex.
      The video shows the deer walking around the pool several times, and then jumping in. It swims back and forth, looking for a way out.
      "He swam laps," Gaddis said. "I wish that I could swim laps like that."
      The deer apparently jumped from a balcony through the glass roof that covers the indoor pool.
      Maintenance supervisor Carl Moore got the call that a deer was in the pool.
      "I thought she was pulling a prank," Moore said. "The water in the pool was churning awfully hard. There was a deer, with four points, maybe six."
      Moore used a net to herd the animal to the shallow end of the pool.
      "You could tell he was starting to get really exhausted," he said. "We knew we had to do something quick before the deer drowned."
      The deer finally walked up the shallow end steps and ran away.
      "It was something else," Moore said.
      "It was his lucky day, avoiding all the traffic, surviving the jump through the roof, swimming the laps and getting out the way he did," Gaddis said.
      http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-103009-mw-deer-in-pool.26a3feeda.html