Dangerous deer hunting going on in Martinez

  • pat scala
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 11, 2009
      Gary Bogue: Dangerous deer hunting going on in Martinez
      By Gary Bogue
      Contra Costa Times

      I shot an arrow into the air,
      It fell to earth, I know not where "...
      — Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

      Dear Gary:
      My neighbors and I need some advice on how to pursue a problem that we have in our community of Stonehurst, an unincorporated area of Martinez.
      We have illegal hunting of deer to the point where one neighbor was narrowly missed by a high-powered bullet as it crashed through his window. This past Thursday a deer was killed with a bow and arrow no more than 30 feet from me and my car as I was stopped at a stop sign.
      Homes are 20 yards apart in this area and the law states, "no firearm or deadly weapon may be discharged within 150 yards of an inhabited dwelling."
      The hunter shot this deer from the porch as the small buck ate pears in the orchard. The hunter (and I use this term loosely) was identified, (and) the police and game warden were contacted.
      It seems that the original land owners feel that they can continue to hunt like they did before homes were built with total disregard for human safety. We have had two homes hit by bullets.
      The hunters are now using crossbows and bows/arrows at night because we have complained about the gunfire. We had seven magnificent bucks wandering around here two months ago, now we have none. Any advice, or people to contact would be much appreciated.
      Bob, Martinez

      Dear Bob:
      EVERY time a shot or arrow is fired, you should contact your local police and the State Fish and Game Department.
      Bows and arrows are also dangerous weapons and it's not legal to fire them within 150 yards of dwellings. You also can't hunt on private property without permission, on or by a road, or one half-hour before or after sunset — which means you can't hunt at night.
      You and your neighbors need to stay proactive on this and contact the law whenever this happens; otherwise someone eventually will get hurt.

      And be sure to keep your head down from flying bullets and arrows!