Re: [Friends of Deer] music for a dear deer

  • Anna CARNER
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 21, 2008
      That's great news! I'll chop her apples, carrots and mix in a nice mash of
      > grain:) Thanks for the info.
      >
      > Anna
      >

      > On Tue, Oct 21, 2008 at 4:18 PM, Pat Scala <patscala@...> wrote:
      >
      >> I just Googled the topic of the life span of a white tailed deer. One
      >> "expert" states that most wild deer live to 2-3 years old; but, have the
      >> capacity to live to 20 years old. I have heard of deer living longer than
      >> 20 years and have read sometime back that the elder deer runs into trouble
      >> with its teeth wearing to the point that it cannot chew its food,
      >> ultimately, starves to death.

    • Imp Ster
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 25, 2008
        hmm, maybe it was more like '84. i do clearly remember seeing her as an "adult doe" in '89. of course i did feed her regularly for some years after '95 on standard goat chow.
        she grew to be rather chubby one year, but alas when the county got rid of my goats, the chow dried up.
        then they took out 300 acres nearby for new yuppy housing, and the remaining deer soon left my small meck of woods.

        there is a horse in the SF zoo that is verified as being 40+ yo.
        and my rabbit Jak was given to me in '95 as well, he hasnt a grey hair yet, but does wheeze a bit and snores.
        i think that modern food and regular care will add decades to lifespans.
        most of our animal health data comes from greatly outdated sources.
        i suppose we can thank the Purina folks for their continued "testing" and hope it involves minimal "in vivo" analysis!

        so happy to hear that Blossom is still frisky!
        how i envy you that precious guest in your life - wishing you both Live Long & Propser etc

      • Imp Ster
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 25, 2008
          hmm... yep, that second year seems to put them in the crosshairs.
          or, as Freddy Krueger would say,
          "How sweet, fresh meat!"

          "expert" states that most wild deer live to 2-3 years old