Our pursuit of happiness --

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 3, 2008
      In reference to feeding birds and wildlife in one's backyard and property
      there are some who feel that it is our constitutional right of happiness
      that allow us to do these things. I found something in Wikipedia written
      specifically for Virginia:

      Locke, John, and Peter Laslett. Two Treatises of Government. Cambridge Texts
      in the History of Political Thought. Cambridge [England]; New York:
      Cambridge University Press, 1988. George Mason repeated this earlier
      triptych of life, liberty, and property but expanded on it in the Virginia
      Declaration of Rights of May 15, 1776. He rephrased it as: "That all men are
      by nature equally free and independent and have certain inherent rights, ...
      namely the enjoyment of life and liberty, with the means of acquiring and
      possessing property, and pursuing and obtaining happiness and safety." The
      fact that this document was approved in Virginia just days before the Second
      Continental Congress met indicates that Jefferson was very much influenced
      by it. George Mason is almost ignored despite his writings and influence
      during this period.

      When I lived in New Jersey there was a lawyer pursuing the right of
      individuals to enjoy wildlife on their own property. At the time there was
      a group of individuals who were trying to have bird feeders removed from
      neighbor's properties because they said the feeders attracted deer. The
      freedom to worship God would never be challenged and yet the freedom to
      meditate in a wildlife setting is being denied to us as a spiritual right -
      like religion.

      The individuals who complain about deer and other wildlife deficating on
      their lawns are the same individuals who poison the environment by dumping
      chemicals on their lawns.

      The loss of our consitutional rights is ongoing and nobody ain't doing much
      about it.