RE: [Friends of Deer] Residents should help stop deer poaching

  • norma miller
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 8, 2008
      I don't own much land but its posted and if I heard somebody up there hunting the hunter would become the hunted real quick ! I can shoot too ! Norma

      To: friendsofdeer@yahoogroups.com
      From: patscala@...
      Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:00:48 -0400
      Subject: [Friends of Deer] Residents should help stop deer poaching

      Send letters to <mailto:feedback@...> feedback@... and post

      online comments, to support AR activist Rose Reina-Rosenbaum

      http://www.packetonline.com/articles/2008/06/06/hillsborough_beacon/your_vie

      ws/doc4847fbab62491091291320.txt

      Residents should help stop deer poaching

      Thursday, June 5, 2008 11:04 AM EDT

      Rose Reina-Rosenbaum, Hillsborough [NJ]

      Poaching is the act of killing wildlife illegally. In Hillsborough, with

      all the additional hunting sites available, why is there still poaching

      going on? Is it for the thrill because they know they can get away with it

      or is it for another reason?

      My family and I have been witnessing this unlawful killing for almost

      four years now. Since then the areas of poaching have increased to other

      near by locations. Many of these people are connected with this activity in

      and around the neighborhood, both adults and teenagers.

      To ensure their covert operation, they take turns pick up and dropping

      off. Even though it appears different vehicles are coming and going, it is

      the same ones that are involved.

      We are located close to fields and the railroad tracks, so to move the

      deer, they have used fireworks, car horns, shot gun blasts and use whistles

      to mask the sounds of them moving through the woods. Many people are

      oblivious to the noises that are used when they signal one another. They use

      a variety of sounds such as whistles, bird sounds, car horns and knocking.

      <http://adsys.townnews.com/c83034260/creative/packetonline.com/+story_middle

      _001/131705-1212760266.jpg?r=http://www.amblesidegardens.com/in_the_garden.h

      tml>

      I once heard a trigger cocked while walking in my backyard at night and

      have been spot lighted more than once. The Police come out each time we call

      about the gun shots, but they do not see anyone.

      These people are so close to our houses that I have heard them from our

      window several times talking about taking deer. I once found a significant

      amount of blood in the woods that a Fish and Wildlife Officer said probably

      came from a deer. Since that time I have found other physical evidence such

      a shell from a .22-cal. bullet and many shotgun shells.

      I spoke with a couple of other people in town who hear gun shots at night

      where they live as well.

      The police primarily rely upon phone calls and reports to know when

      something is going on. We all want our community to be safe, so I would urge

      the residents of Hillsborough to please assist in that effort by helping to

      be the eyes and ears for the police.

      If you see or hear something suspicious, please call local authorities

      right away, so that they can investigate and stop this activity.