Pet Deer Killed, Two Confess -- Pennsylvania

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 29, 2007
      This story was broadcast on WNEP news out of Scranton, Pa. This is the
      second time I've heard of charges being waged against individuals who have
      killed deer "pets." In many areas of the country, the wildlife is owned and
      controlled by state fish and game agencies and owning deer is not allowed.
      However, this story has a different twist. The owners of the murdered buck
      obtained him from a private deer ranch, so the murdered buck was not owned
      by the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and charges against the two goons who
      murdered him are going forward.

      Pat

      Pet Deer Killed, Two Confess

      Friday, December 28, 3:58 p.m.
      By Norm Jones

      A family pet was killed inside its pen and now investigators say two men
      have confessed to the brutal crime.

      <http://local.wnep.com/wn/photos.php?id=64534>
      Click for larger image

      Pet deer, Chester, was killed in his pen inside a bar and dragged across a
      field Wednesday.

      Troopers said the men crept into a barn near Hughesville and shot several
      arrows into the deer, all in the name of revenge.

      It was no ordinary deer, or even a farm animal, for that matter.

      Janice Temple of the Hughesville area hand raised the buck, a three-year-old
      deer she fondly referred to as one of her own. She retraced the steps of
      the men who police said killed her pet deer, Chester.

      She said the big buck was as tame as a dog.

      "They shot an arrow and it didn't die right away, so they walked around,
      broke through the door walked around came in here, and they each shot two
      more times," Temple said of the Wednesday night attack.

      She added the men then dragged her buck out of his pen and through a field.
      Two days later, tufts of deer fur still cling to corn stalks.

      Temple and her fiance learned of the attack Thursday night when they came to
      feed Chester and his mate, Remi. When she was the only deer to greet them
      they knew something was wrong.

      "Chester I got three years ago, as a fawn from a local deer farmer. I
      bottle fed him. He was like a kid of mine," Temple recalled.

      She said her buck was taken to a local butcher shop where state police were
      able to track down the men who took it.

      Troopers said those men confessed to killing the buck.

      "It's rotten. Takes a cold-hearted person to be able to do something like
      that," Temple added.

      "When Chester would hear my truck or the four wheeler come up around the
      road, out of the pen he'd come to come see what we were bringing him, spend
      some time with him. So you know, no different than any other pet," said Ryan
      Messner, Temple's fiance.

      While the couple got Chester's antlers from the butcher they may not display
      them, saying the loss of their beloved buck is hitting them hard.

      State police said they've talked to the two men they believe are responsible
      and plan to file several felony charges against them. Those charges could
      come next week. They said the men may have targeted the buck because they
      were upset about not being able to hunt on Temple's land.