Audubon Society supports killing of Point Reyes Deer, angers members.

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 21, 2007
      Audubon Society supports killing of Point Reyes Deer, angers members.

      June 4, 2007 on 2:43 pm | In Sonoma County Wildlife |

      Greetings Birders!

      If you're like me, you've always been a big fan of the Audubon Society.
      They've been around forever, they publish beautiful bird guides, and they
      have terrific local chapters across the U.S. The Audubon Society depends on
      members' dues and donations in order to publish their magazine, fund their
      conservation projects and maintain their standing as America's most famous
      and popular birding organization.

      Unfortunately, the Audubon Society is rapidly losing member support here in
      the San Francisco Bay Area of California because of a decision made at an
      official, Marin Chapter Audubon Society level about a local issue which
      local people feel very strongly about.

      Here are the basic facts:

      For generations, the citizens of Marin County have benefited from the
      presence of the small herd of beautiful Fallow and Axis Deer that were
      brought by humans to the Point Reyes National Seashore in the 1950's.

      The National Park Service will begin killing the deer this summer of 2007
      via methods that include gunning down from helicopters, hunting with dogs
      and beating and stabbing the deer to death.

      The National Park Service claims that the deer are harming the environment
      and threatening the Black-tailed Deer that also live in the park.

      The National Park Service has refused to spend the time to actually study
      whatever effects the Fallow and Axis deer may be having on the ecology. They
      do not have any figures for how many Black-tailed Deer live in the park, nor
      how many lived there 50 years ago. Rather than study the animals and act as
      the good stewards of the land they are employed to be, they simply want to
      kill the Fallow and Axis Deer.

      Officials at the Marin Chapter level of the Audubon Society have announced
      that they support the inhumane, hurried killing of the Fallow and Axis deer.
      Local members of the regional chapter are in disagreement about the position
      the board of the Marin chapter has taken and have voiced their lack of
      support for this policy.

      The Marin Humane Society, In Defense of Animals, WildCare and Dr. Jane
      Goodall have all pleaded with the NPS to adopt a policy of humane
      management, not extermination of these deer which are so highly valued by
      local citizens and the 2.5 million visitors that come to the Point Reyes
      National Seashore annually.

      The people of West Marin have created a group called Friends of the White
      Deer. Their efforts have included gathering thousands of signatures, holding
      meetings with the Park officials and posting signs all over their villages
      asking for humane management of the deer.

      The NPS and the conservation committee of the Marin Audubon society is
      refusing to listen to the needs and wishes of local people, and the killing
      is set to begin this summer.

      It is my belief that the National Audubon Society and all of its chapters
      should take the position of protecting and cherishing life, not destroying
      it. If the size of the Fallow and Axis deer population needs to be managed,
      it can be done with humane contraceptive dart technology. The NPS is
      authorized to do this, and already practices humane management with the Tule
      Elk that also live in the park.

      I am offended that the Marin Audubon Society, a group I have always
      respected, has so far ignored the position of the highly-educated local
      members and the people of West Marin who have lived with these deer for half
      a century. The Marin Audubon Society should listen to the wisdom of its
      local members who love and know their regional environments, and who do not
      support the committee's desire to see the deer inhumanely slaughtered. The
      Audubon Society only exists because of the support of local people across
      the land, and our words should be important to them.

      *Editorial correction: It was my initial understanding of this case that
      support of killing the Fallow and Axis Deer of Point Reyes had been given by
      the Audubon Society at a national level. Thanks to Glenn Olson, Executive
      Director of Audubon California and Graham Chisholm, Director of Conservation
      & Deputy State Director, Audubon California (see comment below), I have been
      able to clarify that neither the national nor state level Audubon Society
      has taken an official position on the slaying of the deer.

      I have also had the opportunity of speaking with Barbara Salzman, President
      of the Marin Audubon Society. She confirmed for me that the position
      announced in support of killing the deer was taken at a local chapter level,
      not a national or state one. According to Ms. Salzman, this position is not
      the result of a vote amongst the members of the local chapter, but rather
      the result of discussion amongst the conservation committee. Ms. Salzman
      indicated to me that if they had to take the view of all the members into
      account, they would never be able to reach an official decision.

      It is little wonder, then, that Marin Audubon Society members are upset by
      the committee's stance. In the words of member Jeanne Emmons Cohn of San
      Rafael ,

      "Environmental groups are being lobbied to go along with these deer
      killings. I implore commissioners to look into alternatives that would
      prevent annihilation of the whole group of deer."

      In light of the fact that the official position of the Marin Audubon Society
      is based merely on the decision of their committee, rather than on a
      democratic vote of their members, I believe it is all the more imperative
      for dissenting members to speak up and withdraw their support from a group
      that is not ethically aligned with their own beliefs about the humane
      treatment of animals.

      What you can do

      Visit Friends of the White deer at www.fotwd.org to read further about this
      issue.

      If you fund your local Audubon Society chapter, begin a discussion with
      other members about the inappropriateness of this organization becoming a
      supporter of inhumane species extermination.

      Consider withdrawing your membership and funding from your local Audubon
      Chapter, and send them a letter explaining that you are doing so because the
      Marin Audubon Society has ignored local citizens' request for humane
      management, not extermination.

      If you donate to the National Audubon Society, consider writing to them to
      explain that you will not be continuing your financial sponsorship of their
      society because the local chapter of the Marin Audubon Society is supporting
      species extermination and ignoring local members' needs.

      Please consider writing or emailing the following:

      National Audubon Society:

      MAIN OFFICE:

      National Audubon Society

      700 Broadway

      New York, NY 10003

      Phone: (212) 979-3000

      Fax: (212) 979-3188

      email: donations@...

      Audubon California

      711 University Avenue

      Sacramento, CA 95825

      916-649-7600

      Fax 916-649-7667

      Glenn Olson, Executive Director

      email: golson@...

      Madrone Audubon Society

      PO Box 1911

      Santa Rosa, CA 95402

      707-546-7492

      Sylvan Eidelman, President

      email: sylvan_lee@...

      Napa-Solano Audubon Society

      PO Box 5027

      Vallejo, CA 94591

      Cheryl Harris, President

      email: cheryleharris@...

      Marin Audubon Society

      48 Ardmore Rd

      Larkspur, CA 94939

      415-924-6057

      Barbara Salzman, President

      email: bsalzman@...

      In Conclusion

      My husband and I have spent hours amongst these rare and beautiful deer and
      have come to love them. Our joy in birding, and the reason we run Birding
      Sonoma County , is founded in a deep love of the natural world and a respect
      for all life. We are ashamed to see the Marin Audubon Society officially
      supporting violence and respectfully request that they remember that the
      society exists because of the interest and activities of citizens at a local
      level. We believe that the people in the committee which makes policies for
      the Marin Audubon Society should be guided by a democratic poll of its local
      members' positions, not by the decision of a chosen few, and that the
      tremendous local outcry against the slaying of the deer should be taken into
      account by any local wildlife-oriented society.

      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 16 10:14 AM
        Audubon <http://www.americanbirdguide.com/wordpress/?p=66> Society supports

        <http://www.americanbirdguide.com/wordpress/?cat=5> County Wildlife |

        <http://www.fotwd.org>

        White Deer <http://www.fotwd.org> . Their efforts have included gathering
        thousands of signatures, holding meetings with the Park officials and
        posting signs all over their villages asking for humane management of the
        deer.
        * The NPS and the conservation committee of the Marin Audubon society
        is refusing to listen to the needs and wishes of local people, and the
        killing is set to begin this summer.

        Fallow Deer, Point Reyes, CA.