1273Deer who stood guard over nest admires chicks with mother goose

  • pat scala
    Apr 29 12:06 PM
      (Reuters) - Now that a brood of seven goslings has hatched at a Buffalo
      cemetery, a deer that stood guard over their expectant single mother for weeks
      is beginning to wander off, a wildlife official said on Thursday.

      One of the most dramatic moments in this animal kingdom saga came the day before
      the eggs hatched on Wednesday, when the storied stag chased off crows
      threatening the goose nesting on a large urn at Forest Lawn cemetery.

      "The deer was acting pretty much like the gander," said Erie County SPCA
      Wildlife Administrator Joel Thomas.
      "Crows are big predators of baby birds. (The babies) are pretty defenseless and
      the deer was obviously chasing the crows away."

      For three weeks, a Webcam has broadcast images of the buck watching over the
      soon-to-be mother goose that lost her gander. For weeks, the male white-tailed
      deer had consistently worked to discourage any visitors or passing vehicles from
      coming near the nesting Canada goose, positioning his body broadside and staring
      until the threat passed.

      While experts have called the buck's behavior highly unusual, examples of
      similar co-existence in nature do sometimes crop up, Thomas said.

      "This is really kind of a special socialization between these two animals and
      we're all still sort of scratching our heads," he said.
      Just hours after the first little beak cracked through its eggshell, the mother
      goose hustled her babies out of the urn on their first walk around the grounds
      on Wednesday afternoon. As the family paraded by, the deer watched from a nearby
      hillside, apparently recognizing the fruits of his labor.
      With the goslings comes a change in the adult animals' relationship, Thomas
      said.
      "The last time I saw him he was pretty much beginning to wander more," Thomas
      said. "I see this bond diminishing now that the chicks are with Mom."

      A cemetery spokesmen said the deer has lived for several years at the 269-acre
      cemetery, which was founded in 1849 and is home to some 160,000 plots, including
      those of captains of industry and President Millard Filmore.