Huntington Lake highlights 7/7/12

  • Tony Kurz
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 7, 2012
      Today I went up to Huntington Lake to do some birding and had a few good highlights. First, around 1100 I had a fly-over heard only EVENING GROSBEAK near the Lakeshore resort. I then headed up Rancheria Falls road and lucked out near the top. There were 2 BLACK-BACKED WOODPECKER'S! A long overdue lifer. They were about 2.8 miles up the road from highway 168. I have been trying for this bird for so long and pretty much had the call ingrained in my brain. And when I first heard it my heart just started racing. The feeling was just so satisfying. I got great views of both birds male and female and later ended up finding their nest. The last bird of interest I had towards the end of the day was a NORTHERN GOSHAWK (juvenile) soaring over Huntington.

      Good Birding,

      Tony Kurz
      Arcata
      Humboldt Co.