Great tailed Grackle at Chowchilla WTP

  • Chris Hiatt
    Message 1 of 1 , May 1, 2009
      On my way to Modesto today I stopped at the Chowchilla treatment plant and saw 2 male and 1 feamle G.tailed grackles in the grass on the western most pond. Also saw a green heron, cinamon teal, a least sandpiper that didn't look right, it had a pale patch on the breast instead of a solid one and bill seemed a little longer. Maybe a western? Also saw a spotted sandpiper with the orange bill and when he flew hardly used his wings, just short stiff beats. But there again didn't see much spotting on the breast, maybe a juvy. Also stopped at McConnel State Park in Delhi along the Merced River with highlights being 4 Bullock's orioles, tree swallows, downy woodpecker and not much else. Course it started to rain then too. Not a big place to bird for 6 bucks.
      Chris Hiatt
      Madera Ranchos