Re: plants for a new tank and new owner

  • cat_paw2000
    Message 1 of 2683 , Dec 31, 2000
      if the tank foot print is about 12x24 inches then
      you probably have a tank that is about 16 to 18''
      tall.<br><br>I like to start with a centerpiece plant Usually a
      living swordplant. Various leaf shapes so the speci
      might vary. If it get good light it will bush out and
      become a nice focal point.<br><br>I usually planted our
      'professional' aquariums in what I call a semi circle. I draw an
      imaginary line in a semi cirlce about 5'' from either side
      to give the fish a kind of stage to swim in then
      build plants from the back to the front leaving that
      semicircle in middle with out any thing except perhaps for
      some caves or such for the fish to play in or arround.
      (sometime when I use rock type caves I put a small
      cryptocorn plant there for a bit of interest. <br><br>I use
      dwarf swords, or Corkscrew vislera and create a kind of
      jungle. In the corners to hide the undergravel tubes I
      usually use some cambomba or money's worth or simular
      tallish plants<br><br>Along the surface I usually use
      some money's worth or Hornsworth... and if I am brave
      a little duckweed (in some tanks duckweed will
      litterly block out the light as hey multiply). I also like
      a plant called Water Sprite... they grow large and
      have a beautiful root system where baby fish will find
      shelter and maybe even grow too big to be eaten.
      Message 2683 of 2683 , Jan 26, 2007