trying to identify a fish

  • Trycya
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 9 9:33 PM
      I have a fish which I believe to be an algae eater but am beginning to question that, especally since I have seen it "digging" in the substrate. It seems to have also begun being a bit aggressive towards some of my other fish especially my dojo. it is about 3-4 in. and is kinda of a brown and orange banded... I have it in a 55 gal. with guppies, a dojo, ottos, hifin tetras, and som ghost cats, oh and some corys. I wish I could get a pic to come out but have yet to master snapping pics of my tank.

      Any ideas on which algae eater I am dealing with? I am seriously considering getting rid of him because of his aggressive nature.
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21 5:29 AM
        --- On Sun, 4/10/11, Trycya <trycya@...> wrote:
        > I have a fish which I believe to be
        > an algae eater but am beginning to question that, especally
        > since I have seen it "digging" in the substrate.  It
        > seems to have also begun being a bit aggressive towards some
        > of my other fish especially my dojo.  it is about 3-4
        > in. and is kinda of a brown and orange banded...

        Does it have a sucker mouth? Could be a Chinese Algae eater which are neither Chinese or much good at eating algae (at least not when they get larger) and tend to be aggressive towards other fish. I also had one that would routinely "dig" in one spot of the tank, although it wasn't really digging per se, but more like violently shaking the gravel around with its body.

        Regards,
        Patrick

        Funk is Dead!...
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/pakphotog/5636544542/