Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Constint water changes

    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 9, 2011
      --- On Tue, 3/8/11, spoil9 <spoil9@...> wrote:
      > 1. Seeing as I only have a couple small plants in the
      > apartment, what would be the harm in taking a cup (8-10oz)
      > worth of water from the fish tank everyday for the plants,
      > and then right away refilling the fish tank with filtered
      > tap water?

      Yes, perfectly acceptable.

      > 2. If I replace the Betta with other schooling fish, can I
      > assume that as long as I watch the water quality I can
      > continue to do this, even with an increased bio-load?

      Absolutely. For a properly running tank, a heavier bioload will simply mean faster build up of nitrates and nitrates are a great fertilizer source for plants. So water away!

      Cheers,
      Patrick

      Here lies the body of John Jack...
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/pakphotog/5108247066
    • Sandi Lovas
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2011
        Interesting..... I have a Camelia outside my front door that has a zillion
        more buds on it this years since I started throwing the fish water out my
        front door (just because it`s closer than the kitchen sink!)

        Incredible stuff that one learns in a day, Thank You

        Sandi