Constint water changes

  • spoil9
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 8, 2011
      I thought I posted this a month ago but it's still not showing up so I'll try again...

      Two quick question I hope...
      I have a simple 10 Gal tank with a top fin filter, that is kept around 80F. It's maybe 40% planted (fake plants) with just a single Betta living there now. Every time I do a water test with my home testing kit I find that there are almost no trace amounts of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates which I assume is to be expected for such a small bio load. Because of this I only do a 10% water change once a month using filtered tap water.

      Now I have read on other sites that using fish waste water is great for house plants.
      1. Seeing as I only have a couple small plants in the apartment, what would be the harm in taking a cup (8-10oz) worth of water from the fish tank everyday for the plants, and then right away refilling the fish tank with filtered tap water?
      2. If I replace the Betta with other schooling fish, can I assume that as long as I watch the water quality I can continue to do this, even with an increased bio-load?

      Thanks everyone.

      Will
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 9, 2011
        --- On Tue, 3/8/11, spoil9 <spoil9@...> wrote:
        > 1. Seeing as I only have a couple small plants in the
        > apartment, what would be the harm in taking a cup (8-10oz)
        > worth of water from the fish tank everyday for the plants,
        > and then right away refilling the fish tank with filtered
        > tap water?

        Yes, perfectly acceptable.

        > 2. If I replace the Betta with other schooling fish, can I
        > assume that as long as I watch the water quality I can
        > continue to do this, even with an increased bio-load?

        Absolutely. For a properly running tank, a heavier bioload will simply mean faster build up of nitrates and nitrates are a great fertilizer source for plants. So water away!

        Cheers,
        Patrick

        Here lies the body of John Jack...
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/pakphotog/5108247066
      • Sandi Lovas
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 9, 2011
          Interesting..... I have a Camelia outside my front door that has a zillion
          more buds on it this years since I started throwing the fish water out my
          front door (just because it`s closer than the kitchen sink!)

          Incredible stuff that one learns in a day, Thank You

          Sandi