Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Mystery Snails-AKA- Apple Snails:

  • Annie~
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
      That could be true, I'll have to do more research on them.
      I have only had the LARGE mystery snails / Apple Snails...

      Annie~
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2010
        --- On Wed, 8/25/10, Annie~ <Aeli33@...> wrote:
        > That could be true, I'll have to do
        > more research on them.

        Not could be, it IS true. One nice online resource is http://www.applesnail.net/

        A couple quotes from that site's pages...

        "The whole apple snail family (Ampullariidae) is divided in 7 (or 10, depending of the authority followed) genera and contains about 120 different species*."

        "if you bought your animal from a pet shop, you probably have a Pomacea bridgesii apple snail or a snail from the Pomacea canaliculata group. The latter is a group of very similar and closely related species. In most cases, the offered snail is a real Pomacea canaliculata, but occasionally Pomacea haustrum and possibly other species from the canaliculata group, like Pomacea maculata are available as well."

        and from their FAQ page...

        "Do Apple Snails eat aquarium plants?
        A: This mainly depends on the species, most species are likely to consume your plants to some degree, while other species don't."