Mystery Snails-AKA- Apple Snails:

  • Annie~
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25 7:25 AM
      Tell her that mystery snails-AKA- apple snails, will feast on any plants in
      the tank.
      They are vegetarians, & will take out every plant she has.
      Also, they love celery tops, & crisp lettuce!
      They are a lot of fun & very interesting to learn about.
      I have learned to tell male from female, & that they have a "tube"
      that they breathe from when they go to the top of the water line.

      Annie~

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25 8:28 AM
        --- On Wed, 8/25/10, Annie~ <Aeli33@...> wrote:
        > Tell her that mystery snails-AKA-
        > apple snails, will feast on any plants in
        > the tank.

        Depending on which actual species is in the tank. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of different species all lumped under the Mystery and Apple snail common name. Some will clear a tank of plants in no time while others won't touch a live plant.

        This is why you see so many arguments in groups where one person posts their apple snail won't let them have any live plants and the next person claims to never have had an issue.

        Patrick
      • Annie~
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25 8:34 AM
          That could be true, I'll have to do more research on them.
          I have only had the LARGE mystery snails / Apple Snails...

          Annie~

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 25 11:24 AM
            --- On Wed, 8/25/10, Annie~ <Aeli33@...> wrote:
            > That could be true, I'll have to do
            > more research on them.

            Not could be, it IS true. One nice online resource is http://www.applesnail.net/

            A couple quotes from that site's pages...

            "The whole apple snail family (Ampullariidae) is divided in 7 (or 10, depending of the authority followed) genera and contains about 120 different species*."

            "if you bought your animal from a pet shop, you probably have a Pomacea bridgesii apple snail or a snail from the Pomacea canaliculata group. The latter is a group of very similar and closely related species. In most cases, the offered snail is a real Pomacea canaliculata, but occasionally Pomacea haustrum and possibly other species from the canaliculata group, like Pomacea maculata are available as well."

            and from their FAQ page...

            "Do Apple Snails eat aquarium plants?
            A: This mainly depends on the species, most species are likely to consume your plants to some degree, while other species don't."