Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] snails and ich

    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 25, 2010
      --- On Tue, 8/24/10, Mary D <marz365@...> wrote:
      > My friend bought six black neons and
      > two mystery snails. He added them both to his 29 planted
      > aquarium. Now the neons have ich. do we take out the snails
      > (i think the ich med says no snails) and if so , when he
      > treats the aquarium and adds the snals back in will the
      > snails be carrying the ich?

      My advise it to first try the heat method of treating ich which I have successfully used a couple times including once on a tank with Clown Loaches which I did not want to subject to medications since they are scaleless fish and sensitive to that sort of thing.

      Raise the temperature up to about 86°F and then leave it there for about 4 days or for at least two days after the last white spot disappears from the neons.

      Usually this is all you need to do and you don't have to buy or use medications. Ich is rather intolerant to higher temperature and once you exceed about 80° they start to die off. 86° is what I usually use and it has worked great for me.