Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] question about mineral build up

  • Tom Reagin
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      Vinegar!

      Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
      104 Church Street
      Decatur, GA 30030

      Voice (404)378-3694
      Fax (404)373-0741

      --- On Mon, 7/26/10, adrienne1204 <adrienne1204@...> wrote:

      I have quite a bit of build up (white, scaley) probably because of hard water, on my filter and thermometers. What is the best way to clean this off?

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 25, 2010
        --- On Mon, 7/26/10, adrienne1204 <adrienne1204@...> wrote:
        > I have quite a bit of build up
        > (white, scaley) probably because of hard water, on my filter
        > and thermometers.  What is the best way to clean this off?

        One choice is to simply ignore it.

        Second is to soak them in white vinegar or even something like Lime-A-way and just make sure you rinse them well afterwards.

        Third is physically scraping them off. I have found something like the edge of a credit card is perfect for this sort of thing since it won't scratch up glass and won't damage the plastic of a filter. Often the white scale scrapes off fairly easily and in fact I would suggest a pre-scrape if you are going to due #2 and soak the parts.