Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions

  • bill 1433
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
      One question here, and please forgive if you have already answered it in the past.

      Do you by chance have copper tubing or pipe in your house?

      If so let water run a good bit before checking or testing it.  This does make a biog difference, trust me!  Water test in beginning and after letting it run maybe be quite a
      bit different.  It pays to check.

      Bill

      From: Jim Rego <jrego1@...>
      To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 9:57 PM

      Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

      On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

      > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
      >
      > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
      > wrote:
      >
      > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
      > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
      > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
      > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
      > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
      >
      > Start with the basics:
      >
      > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
      > municipal surface water, etc.)
      > What¹s the pH of that source water?
      > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
      > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
      > question with the gravel.
      >
      > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
      > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
      >

      >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
      >> with
      >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
      >> has
      >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
      >> matter
      >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
      the
      >> > way.
      >> > thanks
      >> > Marlene

    • Jim Rego
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
        Usually when I¹ve run into difficult to change water ph, it¹s been related
        to something in the tank other than the water e.g., rocks based on
        limestone, etc. I suppose it¹s possible that there is so much buffer in the
        water itself that you will find it difficult to move, in which case you may
        want to live with the water than throw chemicals at it. In which case you¹d
        be looking at alkaline lovers, e.g. African Cichlids.

        On 7/25/10 4:16 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

        > still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running
        > my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.
        >
        > --- On Sat, 7/24/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
        > wrote:
        >
        > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
        > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
        > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
        > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
        > Date: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 9:57 PM
        >
        > Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?
        >
        > On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...
        > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
        >

        >> > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
        >> >
        >> > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com>
        >> <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
        >> > wrote:
        >> >
        >> > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com>
        >> <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
        >> > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
        >> > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
        >> <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
        >> > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
        >> > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
        >> >
        >> > Start with the basics:
        >> >
        >> > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
        >> > municipal surface water, etc.)
        >> > What¹s the pH of that source water?
        >> > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
        >> > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
        >> > question with the gravel.
        >> >
        >> > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
        >> <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com>

        > the

      • Crzy-Pony
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 27, 2010
          nope all plastic  I have never run into this before  BUT I AM Going to beat it LOL
          Marlene

          still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.

          Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

          On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

          > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
          >
          > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
          > wrote:
          >
          > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
          > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
          > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
          > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
          > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
          >
          > Start with the basics:
          >
          > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
          > municipal surface water, etc.)
          > What¹s the pH of that source water?
          > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
          > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
          > question with the gravel.
          >
          > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
          > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
          >

          >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
          >> with
          >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
          >> has
          >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
          >> matter
          >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
          the
          >> > way.
          >> > thanks
          >> > Marlene

        • dekker001
          Message 4 of 12 , Aug 17 4:17 AM
            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

            > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble with my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it has had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it matter at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by the way.
            > thanks
            > Marlene

            Ii live in an area where we have very hard akaline water... You basically have two choices, set up a rainwater collection and hump the water to the tank in buckets... of find fish that LIKE hard water.

            I gave up fighting the water and now raise African Cichlids... they breed like guppies in my water here.