question about mineral build up

  • adrienne1204
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
      I have quite a bit of build up (white, scaley) probably because of hard water, on my filter and thermometers. What is the best way to clean this off?
    • Tom Reagin
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 26, 2010
        Vinegar!

        Thomas G. Reagin, O.D.
        104 Church Street
        Decatur, GA 30030

        Voice (404)378-3694
        Fax (404)373-0741

        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 25 7:05 AM
          --- On Mon, 7/26/10, adrienne1204 <adrienne1204@...> wrote:
          > I have quite a bit of build up
          > (white, scaley) probably because of hard water, on my filter
          > and thermometers.  What is the best way to clean this off?

          One choice is to simply ignore it.

          Second is to soak them in white vinegar or even something like Lime-A-way and just make sure you rinse them well afterwards.

          Third is physically scraping them off. I have found something like the edge of a credit card is perfect for this sort of thing since it won't scratch up glass and won't damage the plastic of a filter. Often the white scale scrapes off fairly easily and in fact I would suggest a pre-scrape if you are going to due #2 and soak the parts.