Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Planning 29 Gallon Planted Aquarium

    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 26, 2010
      --- On Sun, 7/25/10, Tyrin Price <straylite.public@...> wrote:
      > picked up a 29 gallon tank with a stand [big snip]
      >
      > My plan is to have a community tank with a male and a
      > couple female Dwarf Gourami as the centerpiece. Would
      > the addition of 9 Cardinal Tetras and 9 Otocinculus be
      > compatible and not overstock the tank?

      In my opinion, you would be fine with this setup. Cardinals and Oto cats are all such slim/small fish that their bio load on the tank is not very much. And with the heavy amount of plants you have and plan to add, I think you should be fine.

      > I know the Gourami and the Cardinals are peaceful and pretty
      > much like the same water temperature but I am not sure of the Oto's.

      My own experience with Otos is that they are not very fussy about water parameters or temperature. I have found that they are very hit or miss when you buy them, since they are wild caught, may not be in the best shape by the time they get to you, and often you will lose some in the first few months after buying them. But once you have some that survive those first couple/few month are extremely hardy and will live for many years. If you want 9 I suggest you do not buy all nine from the same batch/store as a "shipment" of otos might all be in poor shape increasing the odds of losing more of them. Buy 3, wait a month, 3 more, another month, and your final 3 plus any you might have lost from the previous purchases, although it may be hard to determine how many you actually have in a well planted tank.

      > My LFS tried to sell me on some instant cycling bacteria but I
      > have heard that off-the-shelf
      > bacteria colonies do not work very often.

      I am of the opinion that unless a bacteria culture comes with an expiration date and is stored in a controlled manner (like a refridgerator) then it is junk. Without a food source (ammonia and nitrites), oxygen, and kept in a bottle at room temperature (or worse the back of a hot truck), for prolonged periods is not going to contain any of the useful bacteria we need for our tanks.