Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Questions on New Tanks

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 23, 2010
      Hi Ken,

      Replies sprinkled through out below...

      --- On Mon, 7/19/10, sirreginaldoftheblade <Iksnip@...> wrote:
      > I have a few questions. I recently started an 85 g tank
      > with approximaely 65 gallons of water in it. I intend to
      > have a surface to the tank as well.

      ??? Confused by what you mean when you say you "intend to have a surface to the tank"

      > Anyway, after 2 weeks I have some amazon sword plants in
      > there and 2 albino corys and 3 neon tetra as I wait for the tank
      > to cycle.

      With a tank that size, live plants and such a small number of small fish, you may never see a cycle. Not to say it won't go through a cycle, but the levels of ammonia and nitrites may never rise enough to even be measurable on a standard hobbyist grade test kit. So give it a couple weeks and if you don't see any measurements on your test kits, you can assume it is probably safe to continue to add fish to the tank.

      > Lighting: 2 Aqua-Glo T8 18,000 K bulbs
      >
      > So, a couple of questions. If I plant my tank with
      > Echinodorus plants, is the
      > lighting system acceptable or do I need more/less.

      Well you didn't say anything about the size of the lights. T8 lamps, but wattage or length would be helpful since T8 lamps come in a wide range of lengths/wattages.

      > How many hours a day do the
      > lights need to be on?

      Generally 12 hours a day is about the max you want. Often times you can go with an hour or two less, especially if you have algae problems. Anything longer than 12 hours doesn't really benefit the plants and starts to be more of an advantage for algae.

      > Regarding plant fertilization...I heard the flourite is an
      > acceptale
      > substrate...is that with the Flourish enough or do I need
      > other/additional plant
      > food or a CO2 system?

      I can't help you there. I tend to go low tech with my tanks. Good lighting but then that is about it.