Quick questions

  • crzybishma
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 27, 2010
      I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble with my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it has had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it matter at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by the way.
      thanks
      Marlene
    • Jim Rego
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 27, 2010
        Start with the basics:

        What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
        municipal surface water, etc.)
        What¹s the pH of that source water?
        Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
        would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
        question with the gravel.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 27, 2010
          --- On Sun, 6/27/10, crzybishma <crzybishma@...> wrote:
          > I am establishing a new fresh water
          > 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble with my PH it is very
          > BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
          > has had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into
          > it?

          STOP! No more pH down. Waste of money or stressful for the fish and as you have already noticed, it doesn't work all that well.

          What is the pH when you measure it? And have you thought of simply picking fish that will do fine in your water just the way it is without having to fuss with the ph?

          > Also does it matter at this point whether or not the
          > light is on? No fish in the tank yet by the way.

          If you don't have live plants in there and there are no fish yet, then leave the light off.

          Patrick
          http://www.flickr.com/photos/pakphotog/
        • Crzy-Pony
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 28, 2010
            Thank you Patrick  remember no fish yet , with the water so alkaline what fish will tolerate it?. Trust me its bluer then blue. LOL  I have never dealt with this type of water
            Thanks
            Marlene

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 28, 2010
              --- On Mon, 6/28/10, Crzy-Pony <crzybishma@...> wrote:
              > Thank you Patrick  remember no fish
              > yet , with the water so alkaline what fish will tolerate
              > it?. Trust me its bluer then blue. LOL  I have never dealt
              > with this type of water

              Is this city water (not a private well)? One thing you might do, if it is public water, is call your local water department and ask them what the pH of the water is normally (they have to have periodic water quality analysis done by a lab several times a year). You might even ask for a copy of the latest report.

              But more importantly, ask them if they artificially raise the pH. This is often done by municipal water departments to reduce pipe corrosion and to reduce leaching of metals into the water supply (especially in areas that still have a lot of lead pipe).

              Patrick
            • Crzy-Pony
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 28, 2010
                well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone

                What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                municipal surface water, etc.)
                What¹s the pH of that source water?
                Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                question with the gravel.

                On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble with
                > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it has
                > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it matter
                > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by the
                > way.
                > thanks
                > Marlene

              • Jim Rego
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 24, 2010
                  Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

                  On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                  > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
                  >
                  > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                  > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                  > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                  > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
                  >
                  > Start with the basics:
                  >
                  > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                  > municipal surface water, etc.)
                  > What¹s the pH of that source water?
                  > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                  > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                  > question with the gravel.
                  >
                  > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
                  > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                  >

                  >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
                  >> with
                  >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
                  >> has
                  >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
                  >> matter
                  >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
                  the
                  >> > way.
                  >> > thanks
                  >> > Marlene

                • Crzy-Pony
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 25, 2010
                    still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.

                    Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

                    On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                    > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
                    >
                    > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                    > wrote:
                    >
                    > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                    > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                    > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                    > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                    > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
                    >
                    > Start with the basics:
                    >
                    > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                    > municipal surface water, etc.)
                    > What¹s the pH of that source water?
                    > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                    > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                    > question with the gravel.
                    >
                    > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
                    > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                    >

                    >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
                    >> with
                    >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
                    >> has
                    >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
                    >> matter
                    >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
                    the
                    >> > way.
                    >> > thanks
                    >> > Marlene

                  • bill 1433
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
                      One question here, and please forgive if you have already answered it in the past.

                      Do you by chance have copper tubing or pipe in your house?

                      If so let water run a good bit before checking or testing it.  This does make a biog difference, trust me!  Water test in beginning and after letting it run maybe be quite a
                      bit different.  It pays to check.

                      Bill

                      still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.

                      Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

                      On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                      > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
                      >
                      > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                      > wrote:
                      >
                      > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                      > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                      > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                      > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                      > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
                      >
                      > Start with the basics:
                      >
                      > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                      > municipal surface water, etc.)
                      > What¹s the pH of that source water?
                      > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                      > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                      > question with the gravel.
                      >
                      > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
                      > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                      >

                      >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
                      >> with
                      >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
                      >> has
                      >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
                      >> matter
                      >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
                      the
                      >> > way.
                      >> > thanks
                      >> > Marlene

                    • Jim Rego
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 26, 2010
                        Usually when I¹ve run into difficult to change water ph, it¹s been related
                        to something in the tank other than the water e.g., rocks based on
                        limestone, etc. I suppose it¹s possible that there is so much buffer in the
                        water itself that you will find it difficult to move, in which case you may
                        want to live with the water than throw chemicals at it. In which case you¹d
                        be looking at alkaline lovers, e.g. African Cichlids.

                        On 7/25/10 4:16 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                        > still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running
                        > my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.
                        >
                        > --- On Sat, 7/24/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                        > wrote:
                        >
                        > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                        > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                        > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                        > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                        > Date: Saturday, July 24, 2010, 9:57 PM
                        >
                        > Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?
                        >
                        > On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...
                        > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                        >

                        >> > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
                        >> >
                        >> > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com>
                        >> <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                        >> > wrote:
                        >> >
                        >> > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com>
                        >> <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                        >> > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                        >> > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                        >> <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                        >> > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                        >> > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
                        >> >
                        >> > Start with the basics:
                        >> >
                        >> > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                        >> > municipal surface water, etc.)
                        >> > What¹s the pH of that source water?
                        >> > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                        >> > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                        >> > question with the gravel.
                        >> >
                        >> > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
                        >> <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com>

                        > the

                      • Crzy-Pony
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 27, 2010
                          nope all plastic  I have never run into this before  BUT I AM Going to beat it LOL
                          Marlene

                          still very alaline I am going to try re filling the tank I have been running my house water quite a bit and the PH has dropped a bit.

                          Sorry missed the response. How¹s the water doing?

                          On 6/28/10 6:51 PM, "Crzy-Pony" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                          > well water -alkaline- regular gravel- no limestone
                          >
                          > --- On Sun, 6/27/10, Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                          > wrote:
                          >
                          > From: Jim Rego <jrego1@... <mailto:jrego1%40gmail.com> >
                          > Subject: Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Quick questions
                          > To: freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com
                          > <mailto:freshwateraquariums%40yahoogroups.com>
                          > Date: Sunday, June 27, 2010, 11:18 PM
                          >
                          > Start with the basics:
                          >
                          > What¹s the source of the water in the tank? (e.g., personal well water,
                          > municipal surface water, etc.)
                          > What¹s the pH of that source water?
                          > Do you have rocks in the aquarium? If so, are they limestone based (which
                          > would act as a buffer and keep your water basic instead of acidic). Same
                          > question with the gravel.
                          >
                          > On 6/27/10 8:39 PM, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...
                          > <mailto:crzybishma%40yahoo.com> > wrote:
                          >

                          >> > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble
                          >> with
                          >> > my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it
                          >> has
                          >> > had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it
                          >> matter
                          >> > at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by >>
                          the
                          >> > way.
                          >> > thanks
                          >> > Marlene

                        • dekker001
                          Message 12 of 12 , Aug 17, 2010
                            --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, "crzybishma" <crzybishma@...> wrote:

                            > I am establishing a new fresh water 90 gal aquarium. I am having trouble with my PH it is very BLUE I have dumped a 4oz bottle of PH down into it and it has had not changed at all. Do I dump another bottle into it? Also does it matter at this point whether or not the light is on? No fish in the tank yet by the way.
                            > thanks
                            > Marlene

                            Ii live in an area where we have very hard akaline water... You basically have two choices, set up a rainwater collection and hump the water to the tank in buckets... of find fish that LIKE hard water.

                            I gave up fighting the water and now raise African Cichlids... they breed like guppies in my water here.