Newbie

  • neimo82
    Message 1 of 10 , Jun 10, 2010
      Hi everyone. I set up my 30G freshwater aquarium in March. Things were going well until a couple weeks ago when I developed GREEN water... like bright green, can't see through it. I don't know what to do and the only store we have here is Petco and they honestly don't know anything. So I'm looking for what I should do. Any suggestions?
      Thanks!
      Brooke
      Message 2 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
        --- On Thu, 6/10/10, neimo82 <neimo82@...> wrote:
        > Hi everyone. I set up my 30G
        > freshwater aquarium in March. Things were going well until a
        > couple weeks ago when I developed GREEN water... like bright
        > green, can't see through it. I don't know what to do

        Hi Brooke,

        First off, this is not at all uncommon with newly set up tanks (and yes, by newly I mean anything from 0-6 months so your 3-month old tank qualifies).

        Second, for the most part it is completely harmless to your fish. They couldn't care any less about the green water. So don't worry about harm to your fish.

        And third and finally, green water tends to run its own course and trying to battle it usually does nothing more than extending how long it lingers. My own experience is that if you get green water it will stay pea soup green for one to two weeks. Then like magic, one day you will look at the tank and it will be crystal clear. Really, it never seems to gradually go away, it always seems to just suddenly clear up.

        So keep up your normal water changes and maybe cut back on feeding a little bit until it does.

        Just to make sure we cover everything...

        How many fish do you have in there and what species?
        How much and how often are you feeding?
        How much and how often are you changing water?
        And is your light on a timer and how long do you keep it on each day?

        Patrick
      • Brooke
        Message 3 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
          Hi Patrick, thank you so much for answering! It really eases my mind that the fish aren't being harmed! WE got this tank for my son's 2nd birthday (yeah we're nuts, but he LOVES IT), but I just Love this thing so much now that we have it.
          Right now we have 3 guppies, and all three of them had babies around the same time. No clue how many are left but at least 20-30 I would say.
          We also have one pleco, one Molly, one that I can't remember the names, and just before our fry were born we got 7 baby black looking guppies and 2 baby platys. So we did end up increasing the fish quickly, even though they were all babies. Plus a friend gave us 5 live plants. This all started right after the plants were put in.
          I feed twice daily but truthfully have no idea how much and probably am over-feeding! They get crisps and dried brine shrimp. I've asked questions at Petco but they are clueless!!! And we don't have an aquarium store around here, just big businesses.
          The light is usually on for 12 hours but the fishtank is no where near a window or anything.
          I change the water weekly and try to do about 5 gallons. But right before this algae thing happened I got carried away and did almost half the tank. Which now by reading up on some things may have contributed to the problem. And before that water change we were using bottled water (like for water coolers), but I used our own tap (well) water for that change.
          So lots of variables in a short amount of time. I don't mind waiting as long as my fish are going to be ok. Thanks for all your help!
          Brooke

          ________________________________
          > freshwater aquarium in March. Things were going well until a
          > couple weeks ago when I developed GREEN water... like bright
          > green, can't see through it. I don't know what to do

          Hi Brooke,

          First off, this is not at all uncommon with newly set up tanks (and yes, by newly I mean anything from 0-6 months so your 3-month old tank qualifies).

          Second, for the most part it is completely harmless to your fish. They couldn't care any less about the green water. So don't worry about harm to your fish.

          And third and finally, green water tends to run its own course and trying to battle it usually does nothing more than extending how long it lingers. My own experience is that if you get green water it will stay pea soup green for one to two weeks. Then like magic, one day you will look at the tank and it will be crystal clear. Really, it never seems to gradually go away, it always seems to just suddenly clear up.

          So keep up your normal water changes and maybe cut back on feeding a little bit until it does.

          Just to make sure we cover everything...

          How many fish do you have in there and what species?
          How much and how often are you feeding?
          How much and how often are you changing water?
          And is your light on a timer and how long do you keep it on each day?

        • Jim Rego
          Message 4 of 10 , Jun 11, 2010
            Yeah the half tank water change is a bad thing. In a tank like the one
            you've got, water chemistry can go out of balance very quickly. I've done
            fish for about 30 yrs and now have a 90 and 125 gallon going. Best rec I can
            give you is to religiously do 10% (2 gallons - think you said you have a 20
            gal)) water changes weekly. What you want to achieve with the water chnages
            is stable water chemistry and just a little help in the removal of waste
            products from the water (so pull the water from the bottom of the tank).

            Just be sure you put water into the tank at close to the same temp as the
            water in the tank and for good measure put a little water conditioner (super
            important if using chlorinated but may not be an issue for you).

            Also if you do any gardeining outside, use the removed water for your
            plants.

            On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 1:18 PM, Brooke <neimo82@...> wrote:

            > Hi Patrick, thank you so much for answering! It really eases my mind that
            > the fish aren't being harmed! WE got this tank for my son's 2nd birthday
            > (yeah we're nuts, but he LOVES IT), but I just Love this thing so much now
            > that we have it.
            > Right now we have 3 guppies, and all three of them had babies around the
            > same time. No clue how many are left but at least 20-30 I would say.
            > We also have one pleco, one Molly, one that I can't remember the names, and
            > just before our fry were born we got 7 baby black looking guppies and 2 baby
            > platys. So we did end up increasing the fish quickly, even though they were
            > all babies. Plus a friend gave us 5 live plants. This all started right
            > after the plants were put in.
            > I feed twice daily but truthfully have no idea how much and probably am
            > over-feeding! They get crisps and dried brine shrimp. I've asked questions
            > at Petco but they are clueless!!! And we don't have an aquarium store around
            > here, just big businesses.
            > The light is usually on for 12 hours but the fishtank is no where near a
            > window or anything.
            > I change the water weekly and try to do about 5 gallons. But right before
            > this algae thing happened I got carried away and did almost half the tank.
            > Which now by reading up on some things may have contributed to the problem.
            > And before that water change we were using bottled water (like for water
            > coolers), but I used our own tap (well) water for that change.
            > So lots of variables in a short amount of time. I don't mind waiting as
            > long as my fish are going to be ok. Thanks for all your help!
            > Brooke
            >
            > ________________________________

          • Brooke
            Message 5 of 10 , Jun 12, 2010
              Thanks for the input Jim! I was actually wondering if the water would be good for my garden.
              Brooke

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 10 , Jun 12, 2010
                --- On Fri, 6/11/10, Brooke <neimo82@...> wrote:
                > I change the water weekly and try to do about 5 gallons.
                > But right before this algae thing happened I got carried
                > away and did almost half the tank. Which now by reading up
                > on some things may have contributed to the problem.

                Well I disagree with Jim that large water changes are a problem. What may have been an issue is that you did a large water change with water that was DIFFERENT than the water your normally use (bottled water normally then tap water for the 50% change).

                Patrick
              • William M
                Message 7 of 10 , Jun 23, 2010
                  One way to get rid of suspended algae is to completely cover the tank so that no light can get in for three days, use cardboard or something like that to cover the front, back, sides and top. Do not worry about the fish as they can go for long periods without eating. The live plants will be fine also.
                  As for feeding your fish , I recommend feeding only as much as they will eat in two minutes or the size of the eyes is abut the size of the stomach. I have only been in the hobby for a little over 55 years.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
                    --- On Thu, 6/24/10, William M <dreammaker2623@...> wrote:
                    > One way to get rid of suspended algae is to completely cover
                    > the tank so that no light can get in for three days,

                    Speaking of this, now that it has been almost two weeks, curious as to what ever happened. If the original poster (was it Brook?) reads this, report back and let us know how it is going.

                    Patrick
                  • Brooke
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
                      Hi Patrick! Thanks for asking. Well it is only slightly better, but I believe the problem was using our well water as oppose to town water. We live in the country and have a well with terribly hard water and get our drinking water from town. So once I went back to using that it is a definite improvement. But if I keep doing the regular water changes with that water I think it'll eventually fix itself. At least I can kinda see my fish now. LOL Slow going but glad I didn't try to fix it overnight with chemicals or anything.
                      Thanks again for the help
                      Brooke

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jun 24, 2010
                        Thanks for the advice. Going to do this tomorrow. :)
                        Brooke