Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Bubbler question?

  • Janice Weisser
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 10, 2010
      May I jump in here and ask if you don't use air pumps, what do you use?
      I just have a 30 gal octagon aquarium so not into this big time.

      Janice

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 11, 2010
        -- On Thu, 6/10/10, Janice Weisser <jweisser@...> wrote:
        > May I jump in here and ask if you don't use air pumps,
        > what do you use?

        Just normal old hang on the back power filters and on one tank a canister filter with a small hang on the back power filter as a supplement.

        Contrary to what some people believe, bubbles from an airpump work by creating surface movement which is where the gas exchange takes place. The bubbles themselves do not dissolve into the water as they rise up. They simply do not have enough contact time to do so and the surface tension on a bubble is too high.

        So anything that creates movement at the surface will create increased gas exchange at the water's surface. Most power filters cause enough movement to suffice. And the lower you stock your tank then the lower the O2 requirements are and therefore the less surface movement you need to get enough oxygen dissolved into the water.

        > I just have a 30 gal octagon aquarium so not into this big
        > time.

        The one thing to keep in mind about octagon and "hex" type tanks with respect to what I said above is that these tanks tend to be tall and therefore have a much lower surface area compared to their volume. Since the gas exchange takes place at the water surface, it is surface area that determines how much fish bio-mass you can keep in a tank, NOT water volume. So in general a 30-gallon Hex tank will hold less fish than a 30-gallon standard rectangular tank.

        Likewise a 29-gallon (which is tall) doesn't hold as much as a 30-gallon (which is longer and shorter). Or a 20g-high holds less than a 20g-long. Etc.

        Cheers,