Bubbler question?

  • mmert2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2010
      Hi everyone - newbie here ;-) I had an aquarium years ago as a kid stocked with mollies, gourami's and a catfish or so, and now I'm trying to set up a 20 gallon tank for my kids to enjoy as well. So I remember a few things, but for the most part I'm learning and relearning about this hobby.

      So, I bought a used tank with used equipment, and set it up last night so it can start cycling before I bring in the fish. I bought the obligatory bubbler treasure chest, but this doesn't seem to be working correctly. I just get one big burp bubble every 5 seconds or so rather than a small stream going through. I do have a valve on this so I can adjust the air flow, but it doesn't seem to improve at any setting. Is this just a weak air pump, or am I doing something else that is wrong?

      TIA,
      Melissa
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 10, 2010
        --- On Wed, 6/9/10, mmert2003 <mmert2003@...> wrote:
        > So, I bought a used tank with used equipment, and set it up
        > last night so it can start cycling before I bring in the
        > fish. I bought the obligatory bubbler treasure chest,
        > but this doesn't seem to be working correctly. I just
        > get one big burp bubble every 5 seconds or so rather than a
        > small stream going through. I do have a valve on this
        > so I can adjust the air flow, but it doesn't seem to improve
        > at any setting. Is this just a weak air pump, or am I
        > doing something else that is wrong?

        Hi Melissa,

        I generally do not use air pumps let alone those little air driven toys, however from being in a few pet stores over the years and seeing those treasure chest ones, I was under the impression that is how they work. The ones I have seen all have a hinged lid that actually opens and closes. The air line fills the lid with air which then causes it to open, lets out a "burp" of all the air, then closes again where the airline begins to refill it again. And yes that was about every 5-seconds or so. Is that the same kind you have?

        Patrick
      • Janice Weisser
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 10, 2010
          May I jump in here and ask if you don't use air pumps, what do you use?
          I just have a 30 gal octagon aquarium so not into this big time.

          Janice

          > So, I bought a used tank with used equipment, and set it up
          > last night so it can start cycling before I bring in the
          > fish. I bought the obligatory bubbler treasure chest,
          > but this doesn't seem to be working correctly. I just
          > get one big burp bubble every 5 seconds or so rather than a
          > small stream going through. I do have a valve on this
          > so I can adjust the air flow, but it doesn't seem to improve
          > at any setting. Is this just a weak air pump, or am I
          > doing something else that is wrong?

          Hi Melissa,

          I generally do not use air pumps let alone those little air driven toys,
          however from being in a few pet stores over the years and seeing those
          treasure chest ones, I was under the impression that is how they work. The
          ones I have seen all have a hinged lid that actually opens and closes. The
          air line fills the lid with air which then causes it to open, lets out a
          burp" of all the air, then closes again where the airline begins to refill
          it again. And yes that was about every 5-seconds or so. Is that the same
          kind you have?

        • Laurie Alaimo
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2010
            I agree with Patrick, that is how the treasure chests are designed to work.

            ~ Laurie

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 11, 2010
              -- On Thu, 6/10/10, Janice Weisser <jweisser@...> wrote:
              > May I jump in here and ask if you don't use air pumps,
              > what do you use?

              Just normal old hang on the back power filters and on one tank a canister filter with a small hang on the back power filter as a supplement.

              Contrary to what some people believe, bubbles from an airpump work by creating surface movement which is where the gas exchange takes place. The bubbles themselves do not dissolve into the water as they rise up. They simply do not have enough contact time to do so and the surface tension on a bubble is too high.

              So anything that creates movement at the surface will create increased gas exchange at the water's surface. Most power filters cause enough movement to suffice. And the lower you stock your tank then the lower the O2 requirements are and therefore the less surface movement you need to get enough oxygen dissolved into the water.

              > I just have a 30 gal octagon aquarium so not into this big
              > time.

              The one thing to keep in mind about octagon and "hex" type tanks with respect to what I said above is that these tanks tend to be tall and therefore have a much lower surface area compared to their volume. Since the gas exchange takes place at the water surface, it is surface area that determines how much fish bio-mass you can keep in a tank, NOT water volume. So in general a 30-gallon Hex tank will hold less fish than a 30-gallon standard rectangular tank.

              Likewise a 29-gallon (which is tall) doesn't hold as much as a 30-gallon (which is longer and shorter). Or a 20g-high holds less than a 20g-long. Etc.

              Cheers,