Re: [Freshwater Aquariums] Water question

    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 7, 2009
      --- On Sun, 8/30/09, crzybishma <crzybishma@...> wrote:
      > Thank you for your input is it
      > appreciated very much . I can turn off and fill via the out
      > side faucet, Ok now the water is very hard high in iron and
      > magnesium, Will that be ok? Should I run the filters 24
      > hours before installing fish?

      Hi Marlene,

      I think your water should be fine if you just pick fish that won't mind that water. Many livebearers would work. African Cichlids would be a good choice. Rainbow fish tend to like harder water and certainly would tolerate really hard water. Not that I am saying to use ALL those together, but research your fish and try to pick hard water fish that will also get along with each other.

      as to the tank setup, you should ALWAYS run the tank with heater and filters for at least 24 hours. This will allow your water to equalize with the atmosphere (all the little gas bubbles you will see after filling the tank with new water are dissolved gases from when the water was under pressure in the pipes) and this also allows you to make sure everything is running ok (no leaks, etc.) and for the temperature to stabilize.

      On that last point, if you find your water is not in the right range, adjust the heater then give it at least 12 hours before you check the temp again. It is weird but you can make an adjustment and in a couple hours it seems like it adjusted and is steady. But then the next day that three degree increase turns out to be an 8-degree increase! Best to make those adjustments without fish in the tank.

      Once the tank has run in for 24+ hours and the temperature is correct, you can start adding *** SOME *** fish. What size tank is it? You generally don't want to start with more than about 3 fish for a 10-20 gallon and probably not more than 5 or so for larger tanks.