A begineer in fresh water tank

  • Vivek kulkarni
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
      Hello,
      I am beginner in fresh water tank. Please suggest me how to maintain tank. I ahve plants and tiger 5 pair & black moli 3 pair.

      Thanks & Regards,
      Vivek Kulkarni

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 2009
        --- On Tue, 3/31/09, neoaquariumtrader <neoaquariumtrader@...> wrote:
        > Has anyone found a quick easy way of curing driftwood? I have
        > two beautiful stumps that I need to do.

        What do you mean by "cure"? Usually wood doesn't need nearly the "treatment" people tend to get carried away with like bleaching the crud out of it or boiling it for an hour.

        Basically you want to do two things. Clean it of any dirt and debris (hose and a brush) and then water log it to get it to sink.

        I do not recommend bleach as this can be absorbed into the wood and hard to rinse out.

        Generally I either soak wood in spare tank or a big enough bucket until it sinks (a couple weeks usually). Or I will simply throw it into the tank I intend to use it, let it float and eventually it starts to sink. Once it gets water logged I then place it where I want it.

      • robertsteelecom
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2009
          Hi

          I think the most important thing is to do once a week 20% water changes
          treated with "aquasafe or equiv"and establishing top up is same
          temperature as the tank, stock with very few fish until the tank
          establishes its "good bacterial balance" once you see the fish respond
          positively to this continue water changes 20% min per week and add new
          fish slowly and always keep an eye on them. Never add new fish if you
          see any sign of problems, closed fins, or inactivity should be taken as
          a warning your pets are in some sort of trouble. Read as much as you
          can about "new tank" problems.

          I do regular water changes 20% per week and find my fish have a
          possitive reaction and less likely to get unwell.

          Hope this helps

          --- In freshwateraquariums@yahoogroups.com, Vivek kulkarni

          http://messenger.yahoo.com/invite/